Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fly strike treatment?  (Read 2884 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
fly strike treatment?
« on: May 05, 2013, 03:49:51 pm »
Should I be applying a fly strike treatment now the weather is warmer?  If so which one?  I spoke to a shearer today who said some products have a 4 week withdrawal period before you can shear.  Why would this be?  Surely you would just apply again after shearing?  He also said it was too early to shear ewes who had lambed beginning of April.  Not sure why again?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: fly strike treatment?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 04:03:20 pm »
Some of the flystrike products are dangerous to the shearers and handlers of the fleece. :o.  Read the list of recommended protected clothing and precautions on the bottle and you'll get the idea. ;)

Lambing takes a lot out of ewes; sheep need to be in good condition at shearing in order to get the fleece growth to replace their fleece. 

If you look through the sheep section for posts by Fleecewife mentioning Crovect you'll find her tactics for keeping sheep comfortable and safe without endangering the shearers and Wool Board employees.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 08:22:56 pm »
If you shear too soon after lambing, the fleece can be what they call sticky, and wont come of very easily or in clumps. You can re-apply crovect about 3 weeks after shearing, when the wool has started to grow back again

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 09:10:37 pm »
I lamb april and I tend to have mine shorn mid-June, if t gets muggy before then I put some crovect on. Earliest I gather is mid may from early apr lambing.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 09:42:02 pm »
I'd just asked my neighbour about shearing the castlemilks and he said not before june but he'd dag them next week if I can penn them up.  ha, yeh simple that.

Are any of these treatments available in small quantities,  He uses clik on his sheep so it might have to be that because it's what's there.  Only three sheep and a few lambs to treat.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 09:41:06 am »
I dagged mine last week and have put Dyna-mite on them as an interim solution, as someone on here recommended it and its cheap. I will keep a close eye on them though.
Once they have been sheared, not sure when that will be yet, I will clik mine as I bought it last year and have lots left.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS