Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: duck feed  (Read 1194 times)

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
duck feed
« on: May 03, 2013, 03:50:35 pm »
Hoping to hatch some ducks in a few days, can anyone tell me the best feed?  I know they should not have the medicated chick crumbs but can you feed the non medicated crumbs or should it be waterfowl crumbs?  How long do they have to have crumbs or do l make it up as l go along depending on the ducks?  Any info please.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: duck feed
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 07:55:14 pm »
Dobson & Harrell chick crumb is suitable for chicks and ducklings.mthats what I'm using
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 08:57:12 pm »
thanks mojocafa

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 12:03:20 am »
I've got A&P waterfowl crumbs. I'm thinking of switching my duckling to growers in the next week or so - once he's about 4 weeks. He's certainly big and seems to cope well with all sorts of chunky things under mum hen's guidance. I know the suggestion for chicks is to switch at 8 weeks but by then this duckling will be enormous. I posted to ask the same question a few days ago but no replies. I need to introduce some grit to him as well - think I'm supposed to do that before giving him growers.

H

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 07:43:25 pm »
I suppose if a 4 week duck can manage growers then it should be ok. Forgot about the grit,  must remember this when they hatch.  If they hatch.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS