Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fluke drench for lambs in high fluke areas  (Read 2611 times)

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
Fluke drench for lambs in high fluke areas
« on: May 04, 2013, 09:39:19 pm »
Hi.
I can't find any definitive answer on when to fluke drench lambs ( at what age).
We are in a high fluke area where farmers are drenching sheep every 5 to 6 weeks.
Any ideas?
This year has been so wet there have been alot of sheep losses locally, so I'm being extra careful
Thank you
J xxxxx

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Fluke drench for lambs in high fluke areas
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 10:38:08 pm »
Good on yer for taking care with this one  :thumbsup:

Fluke control is very regional, so you need to ask your local vets and sheep farmers.  Here in north Cumbria, until last year we've generally managed to avoid having to fluke any lambs until October - by which time we're down to the last 20% or so.  But last year the fluke was never knocked back in the summer, and we had fluke in lambs' livers in August. :o

So far it's been drier, although still rather cool, this last few weeks, so at the moment we aren't rushing to fluke them.  But we probably will use a combined worm-and-fluke drench for the ewes this year, rather than our usual worm-only.

(Please let that last sentence make it go dry and hot so I look stupid  8))
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS