Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: moving sheep - quick answer if poss  (Read 2845 times)

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
moving sheep - quick answer if poss
« on: May 04, 2013, 11:19:20 am »
Hi

I have the option to borrow transport tomorrow (Sun) (first livestock purchase), I have a holding number but have just been told that I really need to report the movement prior to picking up.

Can anyone tell me if this is the case as everything is closed until Tuesday and it will be another couple of weeks until I get the chance to pick them up, can I do the reporting/paperwork after?

Ta

K

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: moving sheep - quick answer if poss
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 11:25:02 am »
After is fine. :)   You have the movement form? it has to be completed at the time of the move, but you dont need to send it in until afterwards, within 7 days i think or thereabouts.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 11:46:12 am »
You need to fill in the movement form prior to moving the stock. If you are purchasing stock privately then their present owner will probably have some movement papers to hand. If not, I think it is possible to print some off the net. You can request some from your local "Animal Health/ Trading Standards" Department ..... at least here in Wales ... for future movement. I think you need to have the papers with you as it is possible to be stopped and checked while transporting.

If you have your holding number then I don't think you need to notify anyone before the movement. As already said, you then post off the movement form within the time scale stated on the form. I thought it was 3 days, but could be wrong, as I just do it straight away (in case I forget  ::) ).[size=78%] [/size]

HTH

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 11:58:59 am »
Have you registered with Animal Health yet? You can do that as soon as you have your holding nuimber. I was told I needed to do that before I could have any livestock. You do it by phone. I was told I had to do it first, but I don't know how strict that rule is.

The person you're getting the animals from should have all the paperwork, you send one copy to your local Trading Standard people within 3 days of the livestock arriving at your holding. (I don't know if it's Trading Standards for everyone though - but it is for me in Kent.)

You also need to maintain your own Movement/stock records. There is a form/book you can download from Defra, it's very easy to use. From memory you have 24 hours to update this, you keep it on your premises in case of an unannounced inspection. You also have to do some stuff in it every time you buy/sell/lose/gain livestock, plus there's a Christmas/New Year audit as well.

Not sure I've helped a lot, sorry!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 11:59:33 am »
You need to have moment papers with you when you're moving them - and the person you're buying from has to sign them too.

You can download and print them from here, if the person you're buying from hasn't got any.

Posting them on Tuesday is fine.

Yes, you should have told the local authority to get your flock number - but they'll deal with that next week too I'm sure.

And then, as 17 says, you keep your own holding register (download here and you will need a medicine book as well. You can buy the latter two if you  prefer.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 12:06:02 pm by jaykay »

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 12:29:29 pm »
Love this site

Thank you all sooo much

K

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 09:20:07 pm »
I would find it quite bizarre if the seller didn't have movt forms when you go to buy - I know I always have one ready and with my relevant bits filled in when I sell stock

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS