Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: age to breed gilts  (Read 6944 times)

Higgins11

• Joined Nov 2008
age to breed gilts
« on: July 11, 2009, 02:01:25 am »
I know i have seen the answere to this question on here before but............i can't find it now and can not seem to get the hang of the "search" function on this board

I've got some weaners i'm wanting to grow out to breed. At what age is the best time to start breeding them
6 months old???

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
Re: age to breed gilts
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 08:53:54 am »
Some believe that you shouldn't let them breed until 9 mths, so that the gilt has her first litter after her first birthdday (no hats, balloons or cake required).

Others, more knowledgeable than I may disagree.

Regards,

Morgan

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 09:11:37 am »
No I won't disagree.
Remember you can serve earlier so that you are weaning the litter at 12 months (This is as early as the B.P.A will allow you to register the litter to a sow).
But I feel that they are too small and it is amazing what an extra couple of months will do,Sometimes I leave them until 12 months to put in pig.
We are after all NOT commercial breeders even if any of us are trying to make a living out of Breeding as far as I a concerned animal wellfare is paramount.
Hope this helps
Kind regards
Joe  :)

patmci

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 09:25:20 am »
Thanks Tullywood what i was hopeing to do was to buy an extra gilt and then have it so that i have 2 litters every 2 months.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 10:43:00 am »
Which bit do you not disagree with....the cake, hats and baloons ?  ;D ;D

Two litters ever two months sounds quite ambitious. As a matter of interest, have you a market to move them on?

Regards,

Morgan

patmci

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 11:27:26 am »
I have a ready market around here for pork and pigs. I had around 20 people come looking for a pair or 3 weaners in the first week i had them advertised. I can also shift about a full pig in sausages,rashers and hams every 2-3 weeks.

Regards Patrick

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 12:50:01 pm »
Thats very good. I wish you all the best with it.

Regards,

Morgan

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 11:21:30 pm »
I don't usually put a gilt to the boar before they are nine months at least, preferrably 10 - but some times you know when an individual pig is ready and I have successfully reared from a seven month old, but I would suggest that six months is far too young...let them have a little freedom before they take on the mantle of motherhood - also, the danger is that an immature pig will not make a good mother and could reject or harm her litter - be patient and wait a little longer...its well worth it.

Good luck

Farmer
 :farmer:

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 08:04:17 pm »
Also the trouble with serving a young and therefore smaller gilt is ,1 the risk of injury from a large heavy boar 2 there is the risk of stunting the growth of the gilt and possibly reducing future litter sizes.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 08:34:12 am »
At what age would you first use the boar?

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 10:30:37 am »
As you know tams are slow to mature , generally  we would put a gilt to the boar at a year old[sometimes even a little older] it gives her a bit more size and strength to cope with his attentions.I know others may choose to do things differently but it works for us.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 11:14:53 am »
My gos sow went with the boar at 6 months (this was before I had her) she had a litter of 3, personally I feel its too young and would recommend at least 8 months, her second litter produced 11!  our young boar served our sow at 9 months, and I must say he was certainly ready!!  she is now hopefully inpig! well she's looking so anyway!

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 01:36:51 pm »
Our boar first worked at the age of  9 months but on a gilt older than himself !

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 02:07:07 pm »
Did he really consider it work?  ;D methinks not !!

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 05:50:17 pm »
No you are quite right! Shame he doesn't get to work as often as he'd like.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS