Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewes, Lambs and Young Trees  (Read 2495 times)

Stanlamb

• Joined Oct 2012
Ewes, Lambs and Young Trees
« on: May 04, 2013, 08:55:00 am »
A quick question.  We have a small orchard at the bottom of our garden.  The trees are very young, only 3 years old, and not fenced around but there's plenty of grass in there.  It can either be mowed or grazed.  Obviously would prefer to put some ewes and lambs on it as we have little grass in the fields and it would give them a break but will they eat the trees, some of which are really tiny, with branches close to the ground?  Not going to risk the trees over it but would love to let them at the grass .... will they tuck into the trees?

Thanks

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Ewes, Lambs and Young Trees
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 08:57:17 am »
One word - yes . :yum:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Stanlamb

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 09:18:49 am »
That's that plan supported then  ::).  Thanks Sally.

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 09:35:16 am »
Ours eat the bark off the big trees too, so it'll mean long term protection
J xxx

Stanlamb

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 10:16:34 am »
I hate autocorrect!

I had typed *squppered* not supported!!  Lambs are now going to be put on recently fertilised 4 acre field - sigh.  Would like to have given the field another week at least but there's not enough grass where they are and I still have 8 ewes and 15'lambs in!  Can't wait to put them out today!

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 11:06:51 am »
if it helps we put chicken wire around the bases of ours so that we can graze it now and again instaed of cutting labour saving  :innocent:, it works a treat to
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 09:55:08 pm »
Mine have destroyed several young fruit trees.  If they do not chew the bark, they head butt them until the trees snap ::) .  And the Shetlands climb up the trunks to get at the higher branches.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 11:18:05 pm »
I wish they'd appreciate that trees could be nice shelter if they didn't eat and throttle them to death  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS