Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep with a couple of abcesses  (Read 3932 times)

longwoollady

• Joined Feb 2011
sheep with a couple of abcesses
« on: May 03, 2013, 10:23:54 am »
When we sheared off our ewes this week we noticed that two ewes had a couple of lumps one ewe has one on her head between ears and one has one on the front of the neck half way down which was full of puss has anybody else got sheep with lumps they are both older ewes !!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: sheep with a couple of abcesses
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 10:29:09 am »
Have they been vaccinated, sometimes the vaccines can cause abcesses I think?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 10:31:42 am »
You need to check if it's CAE and tell the shearer if it is - s/he could have carried the infection to the next flock(s) on the clippers  :(.

Now ask me how to check if it's CAE and I don't know - if no-one on here pipes up with more info, try googling and/or asking the vet.

Have they been vaccinated, sometimes the vaccines can cause abcesses I think?
That was my first thought - but I couldn't imagine anyone vaccinating a ewe "on her head between her ears"!  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

longwoollady

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 10:42:36 am »
Thank you I had a ewe with a lump last year and the vet blood tested for CL and came back negative, yes i do vaccinate. and the lumps seem to be in wrong place for CL not near any lymph glands, just wondered if others have lumpy ewes

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 10:49:08 am »
I had one last year but on side of neck, noticed by accident when vet here and he lanced. Full of green pus probably caused by vaccination. She might have rubbed against a fence or bush and got a splinter or thorn in it.

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 02:14:21 pm »

I know it's early but horse flies and other beasties can cause huge pus filled lumps on a sheeps face.
Hard lumps on older sheep can also be cancer. Good luck I hope it's nothing serious  :fc:

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 09:46:09 pm »
A couple of my ewes have HUGE lumps on their vaccination injection site. Should I lance do you think?

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 10:21:46 pm »
Might be worth checking with vet but i am sure they will say yes. I can't believe they do it without any anaesthetic but sheep didn't seem to bother.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 12:02:50 am »
I've done one on a lamb's eyelid before now so hopefully I can do these too. I'll have good old 'blue spray' handy for a wee squoosh (as my vet puts it-he's very Scottish ;D ). Always a bit scarey going at them with a scalpel blade  :-\ . Something REALLY satifying about getting all that icky stuff out though. Ahhh I remember squeezing zits at the bathroom mirror-that was mighty satisfying too.

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 10:47:07 am »
we  had a ewe lamb this year who got an abscess just above her eye (where her eyebrow would be). We popped a warm compress on to bring it to a head and then it burst. She also had a shot of antibiotics to clear the infection and blue spray over the open wound once it burst. If the abscess is quite full it shouldn't take too much for you to lance it with a sterile scalpel. We have had quite a couple of ewes who have had pus filled lumps around injection sites, always seems to be the heptavac P that causes them for us and we find them at shearing. Hope the lumps soon clear  :wave:   

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS