Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boer Billy smell ?  (Read 6960 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Boer Billy smell ?
« on: May 02, 2013, 09:16:22 pm »
William is over a year old now and he honestly does not have any smell at all. Several of our Goat friends have commented and friends that do not have animals say they cant smell anything.
Is this a Boer thing or are we just lucky, If its luck long may it last !!
Graham

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: Boer Billy smell ?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 06:45:11 am »
Yu wait til this autumn................you might revise your opinion !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 07:21:00 am »
Makes no difference to us as he is here to stay, I am suprised he is not smelling yet as several friends have dairy Billys younger than him and they stink
Graham

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 07:33:31 am »
we have a friend that breeds & shows boer's in my experience of their billies the smell is almost non existant compaired to my parents dairy males.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 07:44:35 am »
Thanks for that, We will see how it goes with William. I would have thought that he would have started to smell when the girls where in Season and he was mating them if he was going too.
Will be great if he does not as we may need a second Billy at some point down the line 
Graham

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 07:55:19 am »
Thanks for that, We will see how it goes with William. I would have thought that he would have started to smell when the girls where in Season and he was mating them if he was going too.
Will be great if he does not as we may need a second Billy at some point down the line

best keep billies down wind rather than down the line  :innocent:
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 12:58:48 pm »
The angora buck I hired in last autumn only smell a little up close, got stronger when the does came in season then faded again.  He was 18 months.  The mature bucks at his home farm stank even out of season.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 09:17:23 am »
Well touch wood William still does not smell at all , Had a friend here that judges and he could not belive it  ::)
Graham

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 08:17:29 pm »
we have 2 billies and the youngest is the one who sprays most (he probably feels like the underdog) - but yes - wait for the breeding season ...

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 08:40:09 pm »
If he's running with the girls he won't smell as much,the further away the stronger he has to make it

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 01:19:21 am »
He isn't running with them. He has his own shed with a billy kid for company
Graham

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 06:47:00 am »
Its a bit early....................Sept Oct November are usually the worst months.     Have had a Nubian in the past you could smell half a mile away !!!!!!
As they get older and therefore more mature,  the smell really gets going.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 03:49:14 pm »
My three pygmy males smell all year round, as they seem to think they should be breeding all the time.  Darren the AN boy, only smells in the Autumn/winter time, and even then he does not smell anywhere near as bad as the small boys - and he is a lot better behaved regarding chasing females as well.....Edward is 6 months, and is already smelling. I am avoiding fussing him now, which he finds most upsetting!!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 04:16:05 pm »
I wouldn't want a male here. the goat yard is too near the house and we are in a built up area so I'm sure people would complain.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 10:33:56 am »
Oh, you soon get used to the billy smell - you hardly notice it - but it does stick to you clothing, hands etc......so suppose you think its the norm.  I used to have a BA male, whose house was right opposite a barn conversion, so they would smell him.  But, my smallholding was here before the barn conversion, so whoever lives there has to stand smells, noise etc.....and believe me, my animals can cause a racket.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS