Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly hen  (Read 2742 times)

aparker155

• Joined Jun 2009
Poorly hen
« on: July 10, 2009, 09:46:32 am »

Any suggestions to get her better welcomed!!

My hybrid POL (been laying regularly for about a month) seems very poorly - when I returned from work yesterday she was standing still under the coop with her tail down and her back end 'pulsing' and wouldn't come out for treats. I thought she may be egg-bound so put her in a warm water bath for about an hour and when she came out she passed what I thought may be a bit of shelless egg but she didn't seem much better afterwards - although her tail was up she was walking 'funny' and had her neck in and went straight under the coop again. A couple of hours later I tried a bath again and some olive oil/pro-biotic yogurt and some tuna with olive oil but she was quite distressed so I left her as thought I may be stressing her out!

She didn't go into the coop lastnight so I put her in and she came out this morning (I was actually surprised she was still alive) but in the same condition - tail down, neck in, just standing under the coop, pulsing vent. I bathed her again and she seemed happy with that but wouldn't take any food or the oil/yog mix. I've had to leave her in this state to come to work but I don't know what else to try. I'll take her to the vets tonight if no improvement and is still alive but I doubt they'll know much about chickens.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Poorly hen
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 10:00:17 am »
Sorry, can't offer you any advice but I do hope she gets better. It is very difficult to find a vet that knows much about the likes of chicken I'm afraid but as long as you try to make her better that's all you can ask. I have heard that chickens are difficult - when they decide that they don't want to be here they just give up and die but I am sure your girl is fighting at least. Good luck and let us know.

aparker155

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 05:15:26 pm »

Poor girl just died

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 05:30:39 pm »
its what they do. please don't worry there is very little to be done when they decide they are going to die. keep your eyes on the others for a week or so but odds are it was just this chuck.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 05:50:47 pm »
That's a shame, I am sorry. Hope the others are well.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 03:42:11 pm »
You did your best. Sorry about your hen, though - makes you feel awful helpless.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS