Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: close to hatching  (Read 13456 times)

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
close to hatching
« on: March 12, 2008, 04:42:20 pm »
well as per instructions , i have turned off the automatic egg turner and filled the resevoir with water , as our eggs are now shortly due to start hatching - very exciting - unfortuanately we are now spending every spare second staring at the eggs looking for signs of movement which is sending us a bit cross -eyed  :o and more worryingly there is no sign of movement :( - but we have got the cigars and champagne on standby ( although i dont know why my wife likes smoking those big havanas :D lol )
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Re: close to hatching
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 08:30:44 pm »
Nothing wrong with Havana's........   Any pippin yet???
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 08:46:29 pm »
nooooo , not yet , am starting to get a bit concerned :( - never had a complete batch fail - yet!!

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 09:43:34 pm »
Is it chickens your hatching Guy? also what kind?

I'll keep my fingers crossed that all goes well  :)

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 10:16:42 pm »
thanks muchly for the crossed fingers , yes they are (hopefully) chickens. we have bought 6 light sussex eggs and we also incubated six of our own which are a cross between light sussex and our cockerel who is a gold laced orpington. should make a nice cross - if they hatch!!! ;)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 07:01:23 pm »
How's it going, Guy?

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 08:05:35 pm »
well , one has started to say hello........  ;D i will keep you posted!!

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 09:01:57 am »
It's a very exciting time, can you hear the eggs chirping yet. I had quite poor results from my incy so far, perhaps i shall avoid posted eggs in future. From our last hatching we have 5 cochins, 1 ixworth, 2 welsummer, 2 vorwerk, 3, l/sussex, 1 black orpington, and 2 mottled pekins. I had them in the dining room due to the weather and the liklihood of the power being off due to storms and my oh forced me to put them in the garage last night due to the noise,smell and feather dust. I have also just put in 12 l/sussex eggs and 6 cream legbars in the incy. The chicks are great to watch and we are always a little sad when we move some of them on to new homes. good luck, and keep us all informed of any hatchings.also tell us what the crosses turn out like.

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 08:08:52 am »
well , after a couple of sleepless nights we have ended upp with 2 little chooks!! rather a poor hatch rate , but the two we have are well worth it. 1 was a shop bought egg and one was our own ;D they go into their "new room" today and we are going to re-stock the incubator with some more of our own eggs this week ;)   

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 08:31:03 am »
Nevermind, 2 is better than none and so that's a success in itself.   (I've now got to re-pack mybrand new incy due to the move!) When you say "shop bought" due you mean like Tesco's ?? or from a breeder selling hatching eggs?   I've heard that a lot of people have bought Tesco cheap eggs, put then in and incy and had success !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 09:37:47 am »
yes - we are always pleased to get something from a clutch of eggs - and really its the fun we do it for so no great loss to us otherwise. i meant hatching eggs from a breeder (and generally we get good results from the same), although i too have heard of supermarket eggs producing chicks!! hopefully these will both be girls as we want to increase our layer population - but will be restocking the incy tuesday  evening with todays eggs from "the girls" - never give up, thats what i say!!! ;) dont worry - you will soon be unpacking your incy - and this time it will be on your own land - fantastic!! :D

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 04:09:57 pm »
well thetwo new babes are in their brooder unit ( they look a little lost in it as there is only the two) but they seem to be doing well , and i have started off another 8 eggs in the incubator :)

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 10:04:32 am »
the two babes are now very strong (and noisy) and their feathers are staring  to show through  - v . exciting :)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 01:10:19 pm »
Any idea if girls or boys yet? ???
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 02:50:11 pm »
if there tail feathers are pointing up then they should be hens and if there pointing down then there cockrels, well thats how we use to sex ours and it was accurate everytime ;D
Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you may have to eat them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS