Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Miniture Donkeys advice  (Read 2244 times)

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
Miniture Donkeys advice
« on: May 02, 2013, 07:42:21 am »
Hi

I am looking at buying 2 miniture donkeys and not sure if anyone can give me any buying tips, i.e. what to look for, I understand confirmation is important and that the teeth meet.  The two I am looking at are currently pregnant which makes it harder as I don't have experience in the first place with judgeing confirmation and currently I don't know anyone to take with me who does.

They are soo cute though, I am afraid if I go and look I will buy them regardless.

Thanks for any tips

K

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
Re: Miniture Donkeys advice
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 10:57:18 am »
Although both equines, donkeys are different to horses so can't help with the conformation aspect, sorry. 
You may find this link helpful, albeit Canadian.  http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex598
UK donkey sanctuary website is quite informative too.  Would also suggest asking mods to move your thread to the 'equine' board as there are some donkey minded folk on there and you may get a better response than this 'other livestock' board.
Good luck with the mini donks.  If you adopt them expect a visit from me especially when they have their babies  :excited:
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Miniture Donkeys advice
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 11:26:28 am »
If you lack experience on donkeys is it a good idea buy pregnant ones !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS