Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A break through  (Read 1943 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
A break through
« on: April 30, 2013, 05:55:20 pm »
My poodle, Archie, is 18 months old and loves nothing more than to chase the chickens so we always keep him on a lead as the chickens free range.
This afternoon I walked him through the chickens without a lead, tempting him with some bread. The chickens were all sitting down in the sun and it may not have been the same if they were running around but still I consider this a major breakthrough.  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: A break through
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 06:16:54 pm »
Thats brilliant, after a while  :fc: , he should be able to restrain himself :innocent: , we have a cheeky chicken that gets in with the dogs every morning and they look scared stiff of it!!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 08:59:54 pm »
well done Archie.  Kass been to 2 sessions of training now but after about 40 mins she just wants to play.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 11:31:51 pm »
Borrow a cockerel  :innocent:  He'll stay away from them then  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:  worked for mine till the cockerel had to pack his bags and move to a new home at Kinross due to a neighbour on shifts.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 08:23:12 am »
Annie, we had a cockerel and it didn't seem to make a difference.  Crowing at 3.30am though did my head in and he went to Tizaala.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 09:19:00 am »
I supposed it depends on the cockerel seeing the dog off  :eyelashes:  Jamie did that, and saw me off at times too! :rant:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 01:31:01 pm »
Our dogs have never been chicken chasers...funny thing was when our Yellow Lab stuck  her nose into the hen hut and got chased out by a  hen laying....she is scared of them now, also we  have one hen that comes to the dogs every morning and the dogs keep out of her way.......not so sure they would be the same with other peoples hens though! ???

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 02:03:48 pm »
I wish I had an agressive hen. The dog doesn't like our sheep because they stamp their feet at him. He is uncomfortable being in the same field as them and will always go to the safety of the other side of the fence. Good dog I didn't buy him as a sheepdog.
He can be a big wuss at times  :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS