Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Egg Laying  (Read 2897 times)

Bobby

• Joined Jun 2009
Egg Laying
« on: July 09, 2009, 03:17:38 pm »
Hi all
Sorry to post a bit of a dumb question but I am new to all this.  We have 4 hens who are about 22 weeks old. When they are ready to lay, what time of day does this usually happen - I have this idealistic notion of gathering my freshly laid eggs every morning - but not sure if they lay at night or during the day.
Thanks in advance

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Egg Laying
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 03:23:17 pm »
Hi Bobby

My girls lay between  9am and 12 noon, the ducks normally have laid by the time I let them out in the morning. The hens dont seem to have any routine.

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 03:25:57 pm »
my ex-bat hen lays her egg about 9ish but i think she is probably a one-off as she is also laying 8 eggs a week at the moment despite her old age! and my cambells ducks lay their eggs between 3pm-6pm

having never had hens before (ive kept ducks and geese for a couple of years) i dont know if that is the "norm"

:chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook:
GEM. X

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 03:26:49 pm »
it varies they say it takes 26 hours for an egg but they do tend to lay in the morning with the odd one or two coming in the afternoon and evening. yet when we just had a few we often got 7 in a day from 6 hens so like everything else it varies.

Bobby

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 03:29:19 pm »
Thanks all. How will we know when they are ready to lay, I have been reading a lot , but still none the wiser.  We have been feeding hem organic layers pellets and they are scrouting around eating anything they can in the garden
Bobby

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 03:35:58 pm »
their comb goes bright red!

you have a lot to look forward to! i love to watch my ex-bat after she has laid an egg, she walks around chattering to herself, as proud as could be!
GEM. X

Bobby

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 03:40:29 pm »
 Thanks.  It is exciting - I keep searching for an egg, their combs are geting redder by the day and they have grown such a lot since we had them about 4 weeks ago, they have filled out and their feathers are really glossy.
Bobby

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 03:47:32 pm »
it sounds like you wont have too much longer to wait!

the best part is when you finally get to eat your own eggs! you never forget the first one!
GEM. X

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS