Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Older wethers  (Read 2686 times)

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
Older wethers
« on: April 29, 2013, 05:56:09 pm »
Is there a market for older sheep?  I have two big wethers whom I've had since orphans, they have to be about 6 years old now but I have to downsize my flock as I need to make sure I have enough grazing over winter - this year was awful and I was having to buy in loads.  The wethers are very big and should really go, it sounds awful and I'm fond of them but I have to concentrate on the breeding ewes.
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Older wethers
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 06:02:47 pm »
Yes, but mainly for the halal kebab market, so depends whether that's ok for you....

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 06:12:44 pm »
WOW must be a lot of halal kebabs out there , quiet time for ewes , scottish markets  7-8000 per week

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 06:28:19 pm »
Ok pet food and burgers as well, I just dont like not knowing which route they went when it's an animal I've had for a long time, I prefer them to be done locally and me and the dogs eat them.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 07:01:56 pm »
I'm with L&M.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 08:52:36 pm »
If they are in good condition, I would put them in a shed with straw to eat for a couple of weeks to thin them down a bit and then put them in the freezer - hang for at least 10 days, fortnight if you can manage it.

Older weathers need a bit of a diet as they tend to lay down a lot of body fat. Even so, you will probably need to trim a lot of fat off the carcass, but it will be delicious!
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 10:08:17 pm »
We took some cull sheep in a couple of weeks ago, including a 10year old wether, he made the highest price,  at least £75, so yes there is definitely a market for them to my surprise.   Not easy to do but have to look on it as him having had a lot of bonus years and the older sheep start to get a problems with stiffness etc.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS