Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Just to sum it all up...  (Read 2807 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Just to sum it all up...
« on: April 27, 2013, 10:13:42 pm »
 well I finished lambing a few weeks ago but today I can breathe a sigh of relief!

This is my first lambing to go it alone. I've come from a non farming background and started with nothing, I bought my shearlings back in the summer and went from there. Sent them away to a local farmer to go to his ram.

With alot of help I learnt everything I could and go the ewes scanned etc. I have tried to do everything to the best of what I can provide. With only 3 hiccups (stuck lamb with a front leg back, inverted eye lids and a rejection then acceptance). I have the most beautiful lambs I could have ever asked for! I'm so proud of my ewes and myself for all the sleepless nights! I was lambed out over 10 days.

Today was an end of a chapter and the start of the new. The ewes were turned out and I actually feel very sad and empty. The barn where they have been for the last 5 months due to the horrific weather was empty and its like my babies have flown the nest but just to see the happy munching faces's of my wooly family this evening was the point of relief and destress!

Sorry for the essay, lastly i'd like to thank everyone on this forum for advice, guilding me, helping and supporting me when I waa feeling low! :) hope everyone else has had the luck I have had!

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: Just to sum it all up...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 10:17:56 pm »
Congratulations xxxx
We just finished our second year of lambing. Last year was easy, but this year we had weak lambs and had to hand rear/ kickstart a few. Does wonders for experience
 I read up on stuff alot but its not the same.
Give yourself a big treat and a good nights sleep xxxx

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 06:09:19 am »
Wow congrats, they look super!!

What grass you have, very jealous, our has barely started growing yet! And I've only got through 3 of my 14 so far!! (5 lambs from 3 ewes)

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 09:25:13 am »
It is a lovely feeling, your first lambs!  I'm the same as you - came from a non-farming background and although knew quite a bit about horses, knew nothing about sheep.  But like everything we all have to start somewhere, we all make mistakes along the way and we never stop learning!

Congrats  :thumbsup:
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 09:42:42 am »
Time to start planning for next year's lambing then .....

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 06:25:29 pm »
Thank you everyone. That part of the field is very green the rest is not so good. Hope it starts growing soon!

Already got plans for next year  ;D

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 08:31:30 pm »
That's a fab flock to be proud of ( as is that patch of grass!! )  :thumbsup:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 10:24:20 am »
Congratulations :thumbsup: .  I feel much the same about my sheep- don't want to turn them out of the barn at home :-\ .  But mine are on a billiard green. Wow! that fabulous grass!!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 03:58:52 pm »
New life is an amazing thing and no matter how many years you will be lambing you will always be thrilled when that first little one arrives. Well done and enjoy your lambs and ewes.  :thumbsup:

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 09:34:35 pm »

:thumbsup:  OMG look at the grass! Well done with your sheep!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS