Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Finally finished lambing this week!  (Read 3346 times)

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
Finally finished lambing this week!
« on: April 25, 2013, 09:09:00 pm »

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Finally finished lambing this week!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 09:10:36 pm »
Love sheep poking head in from the side!! Lovely smart sheep!!

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 09:13:49 pm »
We finally finished lambing with a ewe lamb and a ram lamb from one of our older ewes that had been scanned barren, but obviously wasn't showing at the time! Ended up with far too many ram lambs - 61 to 42 ewe lambs born to 51 ewes, including 5 hoggs. Any tips on getting more ewe lambs appreciated!!

Seems to have been a long lambing, managed to break my leg right at the start leaving OH to deal with most of lambing. Now just need some grass to grow so that they can all grow on nicely!

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 09:14:52 pm »
Love sheep poking head in from the side!! Lovely smart sheep!!

Thank you, mum was very wary of the camera and kept trying to put herself between it and her lambs! A very good mum :)

charlestcat

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 01:03:20 pm »
I have read that Cider Apple Vinegar added to their drinking water can help increase the numbers of ewe lambs to ram lambs.  Never tried it..   I think it was on an American website i read it

Anyone else heard of this?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 01:38:40 pm »
I have read that Cider Apple Vinegar added to their drinking water can help increase the numbers of ewe lambs to ram lambs.  Never tried it..   I think it was on an American website i read it

Heard about it, but not sure I believe it. :)

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 08:43:20 pm »
Glad to hear all your lambing is done, sorry to hear about your leg though, that was bad timing!  :-\   You are another one who seems to have had mostly rams - I don't know what's going on here then as I've had mostly ewes!  Tas has produced some lovely lambs - I'm impressed by the Charollais x Zwartbles - think I'm going to aim for more of those next time  :)
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 09:45:55 am »

Heard about it, but not sure I believe it. :)

I'm not sure about that but I do use it in the last couple of weeks of pregnancy to help avoid malpresentation. The high potassium levels help the uterus apparently. Pat Coleby swears by it.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 02:24:35 pm »
Glad to hear all your lambing is done, sorry to hear about your leg though, that was bad timing!  :-\   You are another one who seems to have had mostly rams - I don't know what's going on here then as I've had mostly ewes!  Tas has produced some lovely lambs - I'm impressed by the Charollais x Zwartbles - think I'm going to aim for more of those next time  :)

Thanks Remy, yes timing of leg couldn't really have been much worse!
Glad Tas is producing some good lambs, how did the Gotland ewe that he tupped get on? The ewe pictured is Tas's great aunt!
Have read that following a hard year you will tend to get more ram lambs, cider apple vinegar is supposed to have health benefits, maybe the theory is that the ewes are then in better condition at tupping time.  Would be good if there was something that helped produce more ewe lambs, but guess it is mostly just down to chance.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS