Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: prolapse harness question...  (Read 4117 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
prolapse harness question...
« on: April 27, 2013, 10:25:04 am »
firstly, can the harness be used without a spoon ( I now think it was probably designed to hold in the spoon, but our neighbour didnt have one, just the harness) - it does seem to be doing the job.  Secondly how long does it need to be worn for?  And also should I keep her toped up with Alamycin (ie every 3 days) or play it by ear, or seek vet advice?  She has at least made it though the night and is still nursing her lamb.  Shes penned on field but I think I'll let her out....

Also I made a mistake on replacing and didnt insert my fist deeply to double check completely turned back the right way - would you do that today or wait and see? 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 10:50:03 am by FiB »

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: prolapse harness question...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 12:34:59 pm »
Harness is fine without the spoon, unless she pushes it out again , keep up the injections and DON'T put your hand back in :sunshine:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 01:20:11 pm »
Prolpase harnesses are normally used for a small prolapse pre-lambing.  I never use a spoon as they're so hard and many years ago I had a ewe get chafed inside because of it. Once the lambs move into birth position it can generally be removed ready for the ewe to lamb down.  If I had a ewe that was continuing to prolapse after birth I'd call the vet.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 06:30:08 pm »
Brill thanks - all going OK :fc: :fc:   Will re administer AB tomorrow. 

Still not sure how long harness has to be left on???  Old neighbour thinks 3 or 4 days but doesnt know....

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 07:46:49 pm »
You have my sympathies on this one Fi. We had the lovely prolapse experience (harness+spoon) a couple of years back. It's scarey territory and loads was out before the spoon etc went in/on. Ewe HATED us for it but lambed really well (took whole gubbins off/out when waters broke-that was frightening I can tell you-was it all going to pile out again? Yikes  :o . It didn't) and has gone on after a year out to lamb again with no prolapse. (got her doing her pelvic floor exercises-tee hee  ;D )

The Irish Shepherd

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 09:48:15 pm »
Many a harness has been left in until Shearing"""!!!!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 10:03:48 pm »
You have my sympathies on this one Fi. We had the lovely prolapse experience (harness+spoon) a couple of years back. It's scarey territory and loads was out before the spoon etc went in/on. Ewe HATED us for it but lambed really well (took whole gubbins off/out when waters broke-that was frightening I can tell you-was it all going to pile out again? Yikes  :o . It didn't) and has gone on after a year out to lamb again with no prolapse. (got her doing her pelvic floor exercises-tee hee  ;D )
Thats great to hear!   Ours was post lambing which is supposed to be 'more serious' (ie curtains).  my current goal is to keep her alive and feeding lamby. After that :fc: will have to do lots of research and see what the sensible and realistic options are...... 

Very impressed with the harness. and I'll be amazed at the resiliance of sheep if she survives all of that coming out, being washed and pushed back in. twice.  just glad she has made it another day. Looks totally normal, grazing, pooing, sleeping, feeding her lamb.  I'm not really emotional about my individual sheep, but I do love them and I am gutted as she has particularly lovely fleece and is a milky good mother.  Bum!  Said a worse word than that yesterday. Swearing icon????

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 10:35:43 pm »
I had a ewe that had a harness on every year and I only took it off when she showed signers of lambing. For three connsecutive years she prolapsed and worse each year, the last year I also struggled to lamb her as she didn't feel right inside. Had to send her off in the end  :(.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS