Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: a little rant  (Read 3390 times)

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
a little rant
« on: April 26, 2013, 11:28:39 am »
So today on my way home from the shops I see a smallish young dog running about the village about to get squished. I stop the car, dog comes over, I spend 30 minutes calling at houses to see where he lives. I find out where he comes from but the owners aren't there. Such a lovely dog and I couldn't possibly leave him so I pop him in the  car and leave a message for the owners where he is. So far it's 3 hours later and I still can't find his owners. He hasn't a collar on (suppose it could have come off) so no mobile number to call  ??? He is now sat in my dog's kennel whimpering and feeling very lonely. I don't want to bring him in the house as my two dogs are in here and I don't know if he likes other dogs especially a 'I love the world and want to love everything in sight' setter. Why can't people just put collars with number son their dogs?   

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: a little rant
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 11:31:40 am »
We picked up a collie few weeks ago - no collar. I rang our vet to see if anyone had lost a dog and to see if I could have him scanned for a chip and they said we could but that we couldnt' leave him there we'd either have to take him to the council offices or hold onto him.
Such a shame that this one doesn't have a collar or easy way to identify - poor little thing, hopefully you'll find his owner soon? good that someone like you was there to rescue him  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 11:39:54 am »
I'd introduce him to your dogs gently so see if they get on OK - better than having him whimpering outside
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 12:05:09 pm »
It's worth getting him scanned as it could be he has no collar because he is chipped.

We once found a beautiful husky-type dog (is it mamalute?) lost and confused, running around at a busy junction in Edinburgh.  People were driving all around him, nearly hitting him, but no-one else stopped.  We took him home and contacted his owner who was frantic about him being missing and they had such a happy reunion.   Not only could the dog have been injured or killed, but he could have caused an accident involving people.

So thank you for rescuing this dog  :bouquet: .  You may well get no thanks at all for your efforts, but you know you did the right thing.  The vets have to say they can't hang onto stray dogs, especially as there are lost-dog homes around. I hope when you eventually find the owners that they are caring and it was a genuine escape, not just carelessness.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 12:07:12 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 12:14:10 pm »
It may well be that he doesn't wear a collar indoors and has escaped from home. In which case I am sure the owners will be frantic to find him.
Well done for rescuing him  :dog:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 12:50:54 pm »
A very upset lady has just come and found 'Barney'  :relief:  Poor lady was frantic and bless her she said she had taken his collar off to groom him and hadn't put it back on. He and she seemed very happy to be reunited - happy endings  :excited:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 01:15:33 pm »
For information it is the law that you must inform the dog warden if you find and take home a stray dog.  Even if you have a number to call on the collar you are still supposed to let them, know.  whether they would do anything about it is another matter, but whatever you do don't go near the RSPCA!

Edited to say that the SSPCA are a totally different organisation and operate only in Scotland and are pretty damned good
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 01:20:55 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 01:19:01 pm »
Arh Wellies thats lovely, I take our dogs colars off at home as they get stiny but ours are  happy to stay around me.........thankfuly hes home :thumbsup:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 01:40:13 pm »
Well done and glad it was a happy outcome  :thumbsup:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 05:50:54 pm »
I posted when my daughter found 2 dogs, other passers buy told her to tie them up to a post  ::)   but she contacted the local warden then took them home until they were collected, she was peeved that they 1 knew who they belonged to and were always running off (they were still connected to a big chain) and 2 they never contacted my daughter to say thank you or tell her they had been taken back home......

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 06:13:21 pm »
 :thumbsup:  A happy ending Wellies. Well done you  :trophy:

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 08:42:37 pm »
Me and hubby have picked up quite a few straying dogs and luckily have always managed to find the owners. 

Once was a pair of border terriers running along the North Norfolk coast road in the middle of summer - called number on tags, house was just around corner - she let us take them back and could hardly be bothered to come to the door to get them - no thank you, just they are always getting out and disappeared back in the house  :-\

Another was a jack russell running on the main A road near my local town - I stopped on the side of the road and took my life in my hands getting hold of him and putting a lead on.  There's a lot of fisherman on the river nearby - I walked along fishing bank calling to people on the other side to ask if a dog was missing.  Finally someone said a couple along the river were missing their dog -finally someone said it was their dog although weren't especially bothered - they let me walk up to the road, over the bridge and back down the other side to them with their dog, no thank you and I had to ask for my lead back!!!  They were more intent on carrying on fishing.   :rant:

Once, when waiting at a checkpoint on a Duke of Edinburgh expedition in the middle of nowhere a lovely, very muddy springer spaniel came running up to me.  I managed to get him and found a tag - called the owners whose house was around a mile away.  When I got there owner was distraught - she had a baby and toddler and was just strapping one into a pram with the other in a baby-backpack to go out looking again.  The dog had been let out by the postman and been gone all day - so for all the horrid owners that lady made up for it, she was beside herself and so thankful.   :thumbsup:

So - please, please if you ever do find a dog please do all you can to find the owners.  I for one would be totally and utterly distraught if mine were missing and sometimes their tag might be off, particularly my boy who suffers with dry skin and may only have his collar on when we go out.  For every grumpy owner I bet there will be just as many grateful ones.

Donna  ;)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 08:48:05 pm »
 :thumbsup:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 08:53:46 pm »
Hear hear Donna, I'd be beside myself - and have been when stupid idiots have left my gate open.  I have signs on them but they don't seem to realise, and my dogs are opportunists - off a hunting we will go.  If I spot them I can stop them, but last time I had only just put them out when a tanker driver opened the gate and left it.  They'd been gone 5 minutes before I noticed and they can't half run!.  My friend's GSP is still missing 20 weeks on.  I can't even imagine how she feels.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 09:37:44 pm »
We padlock ours but when anyone works in our garden etc, they always leave it open...I stay around, never understand why people do not shut gates. when my daughter was having an extension, all the tradesmen left he get open and she had toddlers and dogs that wandered off, we often had B &B  guests leave the front door open........ :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS