Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep Housing help  (Read 8005 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Sheep Housing help
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 02:14:38 pm »
No, not at all!  Just remember that the reason polytunnel plastic lasts is because you stretch it over on a hot still day, then keep taking the slack out of it as it expands. That means that on a cold windy day, it's nice and tight and doesn't flap about (flapping kills the plastic faster than anything), so you'd need to find a way to tension your tarp up too.

Just a thought - how about Damp Proof Membrane (DPM) polythene?  That's very tough stuff, and also relatively cheap?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 02:21:24 pm »
Thanks womble, trying to do things cheaply as I don't own the land and the owner doesn't seem very intelligent at times  ::).

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 03:47:05 pm »
Oh I get you Jamie!  :thumbsup:   Just don't fall into the trap we did with our rented cottage. We only intended being there for 6 months, so I didn't want to pay for insulating the loft (the landlord wasn't interested). However, I wish I had done, as it would have paid back within a year, and we stayed there for seven freezing cold winters in the end!

I guess you either need to do it cheaply from whatever you can source for free or nearly free, OR do something better that you can take with you when you have to move on!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 04:17:11 pm »
Do you need to lamb indoors?  If not then a decent sized garden shed  which you can move with you will be fine for storage and sitting in!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 04:20:52 pm »
Oh, you mean like a Shepherd's Hut?  You know, that sounds just the thing!  ;D

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 06:56:55 pm »
 There is a 25 by 35 unsheeted poly tunnel, but its a mess and full of rubbish/scrapl I'm in the process of cleaning it. I had an old horse shelter I can re erect but worried about ventilation/cost and there is horses in one field who's owners appear to take liberties and I don't want them using it lol

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2014, 10:12:49 pm »
Or just lamb outside.

I rent all my land and lamb 400 ewes outside.....

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2014, 11:10:45 am »
We have a shelter made from pallets and corrugate plastic roof - round posts banged into ground, pallets put ontop to form side - 3 pallets deep and 4 pallets wide, 2 pallets high.  Rail for post and rail fencing screwed to pallets to secure.  Rails screwed across top and plastic fitted to this.  Currently used as a hay store but could be used as a shelter too with hurdles across the front.  Can fit 60 or so small hay bales in it. Will try and post pic when it stops raining
Pallets are a nice cheap option  to get you going,you can even get them 8x4feet or 10x5feet a cheap quick option to put something together

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS