Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First hay  (Read 1549 times)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
First hay
« on: April 26, 2013, 08:08:06 am »
A FB "friend " Living in the south of France posted yesterday that they had just finished cutting their first hay, .............we had a frost this morning  :rant: I don't think our grass will ever get going this year  :rant:

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: First hay
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 08:49:45 am »
It was 22 deg in the shade here yesterday, sun cream went on the little people, and the sheep were panting.

The fields are hard enough to get the tractor on so the herbicide got sprayed. The local farmers have put their cows out to pasture and they are busy taking their ploughs from field to field. A sure sign that spring is finally here.

Good blossom on the trees too, so could be in for a good crop from the orchard. Which reminds me, I still have to sort out some decent cider barrels.

We cut extra hay last year and still ran out and had to buy in, so this year we are really going for it.

:sunshine:   :relief:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 08:57:07 am »
I can see dandelions in the fields so I know something is growing here but like you Tiz, not sure how long it will grow!
Blossom is in the plum orchard but if like last year we have a gust of a gale and then another frost late in, we'll lose the whole lot again. Typical if we do as this year we want to get  plum wine out to a vintner for sales.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

loopylou

• Joined Feb 2013
  • East Lothian
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 01:42:37 pm »
It is a bit concerning.  I was hoping for hay from my other filed for the horses but I might struggle even to get one cut at this rate.  I do hope the weather turns soon. :)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 02:52:49 pm »
Had a little rain overnight, and it seems to have made the field look greener (or is that wishful thinking!).  I peer at the ground every evening - not sure if I am expecting a miracle, and to see grass ....but so far I have seen some dock leaves, a nettle, and what looks suspiciously like the start of a ragwort plant. Never fed the ponies with hay this late before.  But looking round, our fields are better than some neighbours - theirs look black.

Think it will be a while before we can cut any hay round here.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS