Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 6738 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
What are you reading?
« on: July 08, 2009, 08:46:48 am »
Recommendations for good summer reads?

I'm reading "Nella Last's War", the basis for the TV programme "Housewife, 49", which I haven't seen. Quite enjoying it. Dan and I seem to be on a WW2 theme; he's just read "Bomber Boys" and is now reading "We are at War", which is also diaries from the Mass Observation scheme. His looks better than mine and I'll read it next.

lara

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 09:00:14 am »
hi,  I'm Reading fiction 'just between us' by Kathy Kelly. I love her books. I'm not the worlds most dedicated reader. I started this book on the plane on the way to visit my mum for a hol in Spain in May, got about 1/2 way through and then put the book away thinking that I could take it into hospital to read after I'd had my op ( i was to be in for 4 days), i read the odd chapter but still about 1/5 to go. I'd love to read more but i really cant sit still long enough, my eyes wander out to the garden and i just think i must get out there and potter, potter, potter. strange obsession I know.

Eagledance

• Joined May 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 09:29:59 am »
The permaculture way by Graham Bell -bit hard going and am on my 2nd attempt! Have taken a break to read Neopagan rites by Isaac Bonewits!

Neither really light summer reads but I usually read non fiction as have been a 'novel junky' and can read 3 in a fortnigt which is not sustainable so I just buy novels for special occasions or when feeling low!!

Have just got Divine JUstice by David Baldacci (like him lots) for my holiday to Orkney

Ed ;D
Live well: Laugh often: Love much

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 09:43:40 am »
 i'm currantly reading "Holy Cow" by Sarah mcdonald. She's an Australian Newsreader who has had to go to India to be with her husband on a job. her adventures show the real India.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 12:54:37 pm »
the readers digest DIY manual - i need to learn how to lay floor tiles in the new log cabin!!

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 08:34:52 pm »
At present I'm reading Bowlby - The Making and Breaking of Affectional Bonds; Braisby & Gellatly - Cognitive Psychology; Hume - A Treatise of Human Nature; Grayling - Ideas that Matter; and Sarah Kane's complete plays.

Of the latter, 4:48 Psychosis being incredibly powerful and dark.

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 08:19:32 am »
The 'Carhullan Army' by Sarah Hall - Anyone else read it? 

It is set in the future but not to distant.  Oil has run out and climate change is now obvious.  The UK is dependent on the US for food and energy.  The country is run by the 'Authority' on a very strict regime.  This is of one woman's story who decides to rebel against it and join with some other like minded people in the country.

An interesting read so far.................

Eagledance

• Joined May 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 08:42:39 am »
The 'Carhullan Army' by Sarah Hall - Anyone else read it? 

It is set in the future but not to distant.  Oil has run out and climate change is now obvious.  The UK is dependent on the US for food and energy.  The country is run by the 'Authority' on a very strict regime.  This is of one woman's story who decides to rebel against it and join with some other like minded people in the country.

An interesting read so far.................

Wow - sounds scary and a good read and possibly too close to the truth!!

Ed
Live well: Laugh often: Love much

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 09:19:25 am »
Okay not a great one for read but I swap books with my mum and sister (when ever i get visited or i visit)
The current books i have to read/reading
Are

Alan titchmarsh 'Nobbut A Lad'(currently reading)
Katie Fforde 'Restoring Grace'
Marcia Willett 'Hattie's Mill'
Maeve Binchy 'The copper beach'

No theme to this as all but the only thing i have noticed is that they all have odd names lol

Depending on my mood it can take me a couple of days to years to read a book

Oh if it is classed as reading am working my way through 50 baby bootes to knit lol

Linz

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 08:46:48 pm »
RHS Propagating Plants by Alan Toogood

Really useful - saves lots of money buying at the garden centre - will travel everywhere now with a pair of secateurs in my handbag! ;D

Julie

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 09:10:54 pm »
Whats the trick for taking cuttings?

Regards,

Morgan

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 09:13:32 pm »

always have a poly bag in your pocket - keeps them alive, as well as pair of nail scissors.  My late brother-in-law stocked his entire garden from the Duthie Park Gardens in Aberdeen! ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 09:18:18 pm »

Regards,

Morgan

Well it seems to depend on what type of plant it is - but if you take a dying flower (it usually will produce a seed head)  A stem with a leaf on it ( a lot of leafs will root - amazing stuff!) and if possible a bit of the root, you should more or less be able to re-produce anything with this book.

The biology and sexing of plants, and all the parts that make up the natural way they reproduce is really amazing - a good book ;)

Julie

lara

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 08:24:40 am »
sounds like a good book. I sold my readers digest encyclopedia of gardening at a car boot years ago when I thought my smallholding days were over, also sold a metal post hole digger for a few pounds. now I really regret selling both items, especially the PHD as it will be needed soon for new fencing......... so it just proves my point that you should never clear out the 'rubbish' cos you probably really will need it one day. ( I'm a hoarder and always use this line, but my OH likes to have clearouts). same thing happened with demijohns cos now I'm back into wine making and they want over £5 each in wilkos for new ones, so now I'm scouring the car boots (can walk slowly) trying to replace what I can. ( the good news is when we get moved there will be lots of space for hoarding stuff .....great!!

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 06:01:32 pm »
im reading; Dancing with Dogs by Mary Ray

im getting bored with ordinary obedience training so im gonna liven it up a bit!
GEM. X

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS