Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Battery Hen Welfare Trust - Are rescue chickens a good idea?  (Read 15876 times)

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
Battery Hen Welfare Trust - Are rescue chickens a good idea?
« on: February 28, 2008, 01:09:59 am »
http://www.bhwt.org.uk

Having considered keeping chickens and looked into various options I'm quite keen on rescuing some battery hens and providing them with the free-range life. I know their egg production might not be up to that of a 'life-long' free range chicken but other than the lower production is there anything else I should take into account before I take the plunge? I'm all for giving a poorly treated creature a second chance but I'm not a charity (sounds harsh I know but vet bills etc.)
Any advice would be appreciated.

On a slightly different note I've just ordered a few bits from the BHWT site and I have to say not only did they arrive promptly but they were good quality, functional and excellent value for money.

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
Re: Battery Hen Welfare Trust - Are rescue chickens a good idea?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 07:47:36 pm »
we took onboard 4 rescue hens two years ago ( from the local battery farm when he was restocking) after the initial re-adjustment programme ie learning to walk properly again / getting used to being outside etc. they started laying well , they are not so forthcoming now , but they enjoy their life and (touch wood) never given us a vets bill  - i would recommend doing it
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 08:13:46 pm »
I won't be keeping them 'for the pot' as my wife is vegetarian and to be honest I expect they'll be treated more as pets. We'll use the eggs but if they turn out to be slow layers it won't be a problem. Just to be able to offer them a comfortable life will be enough and they're great for waste disposal LOL!
My wife's main worry is that they'll be targeted by foxes and this might also pose a risk to our cats. Do foxes go for cats? Is there a truly fox-proof way to house these chickens while allowing them a decent amount of freedom?
Maybe they could patrol the veg patch for pests? Or are they likely to cause more harm than good?  :o

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 08:35:28 pm »
our birds have their own run  approx. 12' x 30', which has electric wire around the top , powered by a small charger (only two "D" cell batteries) Although we dont seem to be bothered by foxes - although we have seen them in the field behind , and can hear them most nights. maybe were not affected because we have dogs?? they are shut in at night so no issues there.
My experience is chickins are great at clearing weeds and detritus in the veg.plot before and after crops - but NOT during planting/seeding and growing! one of mine got into the polytunnel a month or so back , and shredded 4 cauliflower plants within 10 mins and scratched up a load of lettuce seeds :Dlol!
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 12:29:32 am »
In my experience,foxes won't go for cats. At the moment,and for the last year,I live right next to a graveyard in Kingston,London. Foxes are prevalent and are always over the fence where Bob (my cat) hunts.

As for fox-proofing the chicken house,nail steel mesh to the underside and make sure the door is closed at dusk and a latch fitted. Most shop-bought coops will be strong enough to keep out the foxes,I guess it's just the daylight foxes you have to worry about......... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

katrina4068

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 10:56:34 pm »
hi sam

i've got 3 rescue girls. the one that causes me the most smiles is delilah who when she arrived looked like one of tescos pre plucked scraggy birds.
neurotic doesnt come close, she paced and paced, attacked everything in sight and was making the lives of the thers so much of a misery that we nearly wrang her neck. i say this with the utmost seriousness as im a non chicken eater and a devout lover of them!!
they had a small run we keopt them in to start off with before being given the run of the whole garden. when let out she even paced on the outside of the pen.

needless to say the neck wringing didnt happen and i ended up feeding her worms (dug up by hand!!) 3 times daily to hlep her grow and within no time when i walked in the door form work this mad chicken would run at high speed accross the garden to say hello.
these days shes very settled (although useless for laying) but has us in fits, well daily. she stands as close as she can to you and stares up constantly. eating my toast in the garden is a no no as she'll hop onto my lap and pinch it. and is guaranteed to be the one causing trouble (who else woudl you find runngn round the garden wiht a toad hanging out of her mouth by its back leg) and im sure no other chicken would keep her beak closed so tightly as we attempted to free him...

shes been here a year now and i wonder if she can remember her year in the cage. i hope not. but i defy anyone who says they dont have their own personalities and watching them walk outside for the first time, watching them dust bath for the first time, watching them get to grips with the noise of the outdoors was amazing and we have laughed more than you can imagine.

wish i coudl work out how to add the photos in as im still amazed when i look back at what she was like compared to the huge people loving chicken she is now!!

do it, go get them. well worth it i promise!!

and if someone could tell me how to add the pictures id show you!!

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 11:24:28 pm »
The wife asked a question today. For once I couldn't answer her  ;)

How long do chickens live? Obvious answers being until they're big enough for the pot etc but as we won't be eating ours...

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 07:40:27 am »
Chickens can live a long time! 12 - 15 years if kept properly and it has been known up to 20 years!

It seems to totally contradict the notion that I have been told many times that layers are finished at around 2 years old. 

If they are kept in really good conditions they should lay for a very long time and really become part of your family.

Google 'the life span of a chicken' - it is facinating.

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS