Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When do I send my hoggets to slaughter?  (Read 5923 times)

Loopylamb

• Joined Apr 2013
When do I send my hoggets to slaughter?
« on: April 25, 2013, 08:03:47 pm »
Hi

This is my first post but I have been browsing for a while!  :wave:

I have a small flock of Shetlands and I've just about finished my third lambing.

I have kept 11 of last years lambs over winter for the first time (am I right in calling them hoggets?)

I just wondered when I could 'book them in' for their final journey?  Some are  still quite small and I'll probably keep them for mutton but how do I tell if the others are big enough?

we are in the South East so the grass has been growing for a few weeks now - thank goodness.

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: When do I send my hoggets to slaughter?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 08:14:25 pm »
where in the south east are you? we are in kent and also have shetlands and shetland crosses.

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 08:24:05 pm »
Not sure about Shetlands but we have hebrideans ( also small breed) and have been told slaughter weight at 16 months old. 35kg???
J xxxx

Loopylamb

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 08:28:05 pm »
We are West Sussex - not too far,  I haven't tried crossing them yet but may be one day when I feel like I know what I'm doing!  We have a lovely friendly ram called Rodney who runs with them all year!

Thanks JMB, how do you know what their slaughter weight is without weighting them, can you use a weight tape like with pigs?

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 08:36:01 pm »
Well, we have been known to stand on scales before with a lamb, but generally it's a guess. I just looked online at our breed and it tells you roughly the age for going to slaughter and what the average weight will be.
Nothing scientific, sorry
J xxxxx

Loopylamb

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 08:41:46 pm »
Thanks, not sure I could lift mine now!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 09:09:42 pm »
I send my Shetlands at about 15 months so that sounds about right. Mmm tasty...

Loopylamb

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 09:22:20 pm »
So about July then? 

They'll be shawn by then so I'll have more idea how big they are!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 10:32:02 pm »
So about July then? 

They'll be shawn by then so I'll have more idea how big they are!

In which case they will all put on Spanx to try and make themselves look skinny  :excited:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 11:20:08 pm »
We send our Hebs and Shetlands off at 16 months - we are in southern Scotland.  That takes us into early August and gives a couple of weeks before the next lot of males are weaned.  It means that the hoggets have had the maximum amount of spring and summer grass to put on condition and to get that grassfed taste.

We have tried all sorts of different slaughter times over many years, and 16 months has emerged as the best time - max weight before there's any chance of tupping time taint (although I've only noticed taint in older tups, and many people don't taste it at all).

We don't weigh the hoggets although we do check their condition score - which actually isn't all that helpful in primitives as they tend to store their fat internally.   We send them off in August anyway, then get the dead weight tickets from the slaughterhouse via butcher.  From the dead weight you get a rough idea of liveweight - our Hebs are usually somewhere between 17 and 23 kgs dead weight at 16 months.  The weight you get back from the butcher is less than that as bones and scraps have been trimmed off.

As slaughter charges are the same no matter what the weight of the animal, you might as well keep them until they are the max weight they will reach that year, and let them grow on the abundant grass of summer which you might not be using for anything else.  You will already have noticed that primitives don't put on any weight or condition over the winter, so they will be playing catch-up just now.  Were you to slaughter them now you almost might as well have sent them off in December and saved overwintering costs - but they would be about 9 - 12 kgs deadweight.

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 11:19:15 am »
You would be better off selling them sooner that later as at the moment they may still be able to be sold as hoggets 'old lambs' - once they get their new teeth they will be classed as mutton which costs alot more to process as the spinal cord and brains have to be removed - which is not the case for lamb (or hoggets)

Loopylamb

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 12:02:06 pm »
Thank you for all the advice, very helpful!

Roughly when do their teeth come through? 

I guess I need to check how much ore it costs to process against how much more weight they'll put on.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 12:12:43 pm »
Our slaughterhouse charges the same whether they have to be split or not  :thumbsup: .  At 16 months, some have started getting their first big teeth, but some haven't.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Loopylamb

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 12:36:49 pm »
Ok, I think it's going to be August!

I just phoned the Abbatoir and it's 50p more if their teeth are through so worth waiting for a few extra kg I think!

Can Shetlands get too fat in the summer though?

LandieMan

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 07:50:45 am »
We sent our Shetlands off to the seaside last year at sixteen months. Terrific tasting, obviously small carcases but nice and meaty. I have hebs this year, only slightly bigger but not so prone to escaping (although a bit less friendly than the shetlands).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS