Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Slugs - lots of them  (Read 6448 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Slugs - lots of them
« on: July 07, 2009, 11:34:08 pm »
We have had torrential rain most of the day, and I was worried about slugs getting on my veg plants.  I have just been out for another look, and there were slugs all over my sprouts, broccoli and some of the other veg......I try not to use slug pellets, but I have tonight......I hav nutured those plants all this time, and am not standing by while those horrible slimy things tuck into them!!!

Some of the plants are in a very deep drawer than I rescued from an old sideboard, and they had climbed all the way up the outside and were just heading down the other side. .....well they are heading out in the field now!!!

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Slugs - lots of them
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 08:00:55 am »
hiya you could trying petrolium jelly on the outside of the drawers or copper banding (but it need to be quite wide over wize slugs will arch over it

Linz

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 12:14:44 pm »
Slugs are a real pest at the moment...  I have been going out at night with a torch and picking them off my broad beans and marigolds, then feeding them to our night owl of a chicken.

I have noticed that they are really pale/white looking slugs, is this because they are just young ones?

It's been a constant battle with the broad beans, and yesterday they got infested by green and brown bugs... it's become an obsession to keep them beastie free  ;D

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 12:20:28 pm »
I filled my cat food tins with water and placed them around the veg plot, in the morning they were all full of slugs. Must have been the smell that drew them in.  ;D

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 12:29:11 pm »
slugs love beer, put beer in jamjars or tins and you should find them full of dead ones in the morning!
my ducks seem to have aquired a taste for beer-marinated slugs as well! they steal them from the jars if they get there before i do!
GEM. X

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 01:02:07 pm »
slugs love beer, put beer in jamjars or tins and you should find them full of dead ones in the morning!
my ducks seem to have aquired a taste for beer-marinated slugs as well! they steal them from the jars if they get there before i do!

Hello Gem

That's the way I get them too, the hens love them.  Congratulations again on the recent Wedding, and thanks for putting up a picture as requested yesterday.

Regarding your query on the Poultry Course on the 30th - you would be the only booking, so, just come over for a chat about things, I am sure you have lots of experience already, and we can do a one-to-one on the day - free of charge to a neighbour!

I am going away for a few days, so will post "Booked Up" on the course date on my website, as I won't be here to take bookings at this late stage and it Guarantees we will have time to chat.

See you on the 30th, all being well.

Julie

sandy

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 01:30:10 pm »
I will have to get some beer..for the slug party that is! I was unsure if the Ducks could eat drunken slugs!!!!! I usualy pick them off the bottoms of my many pots and containers and throw them to the ducks, I feel very cruel but they do eat loads of my seddlings etc

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 02:30:17 pm »
at least the slugs die happy;-with the beer that is! lol!
GEM. X

Eagledance

• Joined May 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 09:10:55 pm »
There are some organic slug pellets: Growing success ones

They are just iron sulphate I think which only kills slugs who die underground! The unused pellets break down into minerals for the plants!

Ed ;D
Live well: Laugh often: Love much

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 01:13:59 am »
The other thing you can use to get rid of Slugs is Ducks they will eat every slug they can find but unlike hens they will not scratch up all your plants.
I have a few friends that keep ducks just for this purpose 2 of them let the ducks live in the poly tunnel.
I know that most slug activity is at night but they don't just vanish through the day and the ducks will find them!.
Kind regards
Joe  :)

sandy

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 07:20:47 am »
But do the Ducks eat the plants?

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 09:00:34 am »
 :&> no, thats geese and hens that do that! (eat the plants) :D
GEM. X

sandy

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 09:05:32 am »
I may let Lilly and Charlie into the flower garden then, not sure how I can get them out without letting the chickens into the flower garden as the Hens are very sharpe and very fast[move][move] :chook:[/move][/move]

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 10:54:01 pm »
Ducks, Ducks, Ducks.
Nothing else will doooooooooooooo.
all the best
Joe

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS