Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The sheep have gone potty  (Read 2691 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
The sheep have gone potty
« on: April 25, 2013, 09:10:53 am »
Yesterday enjoying the sunshine and a bit of spring grass, 4 of our one year olds in a tight little group: pushing each other, leaping, little runs, more leaps, bucking, and the highest vertical jumps I've ever seen sheep of that size do. Pogo dancing sheep.  :excited:  Thought at first they were being harrassed by flies, but no, just full of the joys of spring, with possibly a touch of pecking order in the mix. Then back to grazing, and a rest.

The new lambs in the next field were watching the large fluffy things with great wonderment.

:sheep: :sheep:   :sunshine: :sheep: :sheep:

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
Re: The sheep have gone potty
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 09:28:10 am »
I love to watch the lambs pinging around, mine start off in little groups, run round the field collecting more lambs on the way till there is a little posse of 15 or so lambs, all pinging independently like little jumping beans!  ;D
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 10:32:34 am »
Wish we had some sun. My lambs have no inclination to frolick as they are all sheltering from the drizzel  :(
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 10:41:08 am »
No sunshine here and no animals out, we have very heavy rain with snow forcast
Graham

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 01:39:56 pm »
If you think it looks funny with one year olds you should see my mature 4/5 year olds!  The try bucking and pogo bouncing across the field and it is hilarious.  They quite often do this in late pregnancy much to my horror, poor little lambs must feel quite sick inside!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 01:46:03 pm »
Scotsgirl, my pregnant ewes did the same thing and I was horrified too. Still, I am sure they wouldn't have done it if they didn't feel fit enough.
It was certaily funny to see though bought a  ;D  to my face
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Sunnybank

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Leominster, Herefordshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 01:48:07 pm »
reading this with interest as some of my shetlands have benn acting up, 2 in particular have been running around and head butting, then the rest join in and then have a run around before grass munching again. its the same one butting the other and then a third one joins in - cant see anything wrong with them, have recently sold 6 of my flock so could they be sorting out their pecking order, even tho the old timers are still there. none have been bred from this year

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 01:52:49 pm »
Even my rams have been hopping about and butting each other up the bums.  They get a bit over excited really and it all starts to all get a bit out of hand!  So top ram has to step in and he settles them all down and then they all come up to him for a cwtch and a nuzzle.  So sweet!

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 09:42:10 pm »
Yep, mine are nut jobs at the moment too.  Butting one another (gives ME headache when I see/hear it!) and then pogo pinging around.  One of them especially pogoes when he sees our dalmatian even when she's nowhere near him.
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 09:30:08 am »
we have a three year old who is pinging everywhere and bouncing at other ewes then running off... spring fever  :excited:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 10:08:18 am »
We have 15 lambs and the three ewe lambs from last year are in with the ewes and lambs - the big ones love to play with the little ones - the big 'uns can jump higher but can't run as fast as the littleys  ;D

charlestcat

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 01:38:24 pm »
Its fantastic to see them all hurtling around.  we have 12 lambs 4-5 weeks old.  They all get together in the evening, especially lately as the sun has been putting in an appearance.  We built them a 'castle' out of pallets covered in non-slip stuff which started out two-high now three-high in a pyramid shape.  The metal feed troughs are positioned so we have a mini assault course for them; and bygod do they use it.  We have the Lamb National most nights as the noise is like mini race horses galloping, then clattering on the pallets.  they can't half run - no chance of catching them! 

One of the 3 yr old ewes also decided to go mad and started joining in; her daughter looking at her in disgust.  But its really funny watching a huge lump of sheep trying to be as quick and agile as the lambs.  It keeps us amused

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 03:57:16 pm »
I'd love to see photos of that charlestcat!
 :sheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS