Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Old stone barn needs re-pointing. any thoughts why?  (Read 3394 times)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Old stone barn needs re-pointing. any thoughts why?
« on: April 24, 2013, 11:20:18 pm »
Bees?
I have an old stone barn built in 1912 in La Creuse,Limousin. Masons from La Creuse would walk to Paris for the winter when they rebuilt it of stone to the garnd design. So the barn was built well by local masons.
I am unsure of what they used as a finnish mortar but the thick walls are packed with a course sand and the finnish morar is soft and white. The mortar between the large stone blocks is fine high up but missing below a meter or so with deep gaps between some stones. All sides of the barn are affected ( although the pigs have had a go at the mortar too),
A Fench builder told me that bees eat the mortar.
I thought that it was mice and lizzards that run or dig between te stones that have taken it's toll.
Started to use a sand/clay ( taken from the cliff near the lake) with cement to re-point. Hot day today and plenty of bees on the walls of the barn low down.
Anyone heard of this? 

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Old stone barn needs re-pointing. any thoughts why?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 11:39:16 pm »
Our old cottage in Herts was made of soft bricks with lots of shell etc in them and sandy mortar, the masonry bees loved it and the walls were full of their burrows. They are solitary but they like neighbours it seems. Some places there was no mortar left, so yes it could be them.

Would the original mortar not have been lime, ESP for softish stone?? Interestingly My lime for pointing our building comes from France.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 12:13:40 pm »
Masonry bees heh - maybee I should have looked this up as I feel foolish now.
yes the white mortar is as you say but it has only been used to point up between the stone. My guess is that the white moratar to pint up is not local and too expensive. The small cliffs at the side of the lane near the lake are regulalrly excavated. this stuff is used to build 600mm to 1m thick walls. It is odd stuff - sandy but a bit of clay in it with freeze thaw braeking up the stone. I think the sand must be igneous as the cliff is on the side of Le Puy and we have extinct volcanoes around us. 
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 01:16:43 pm »
Wow - interesting geology :-)
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

MelRice

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 01:19:41 pm »
Yep MAK Masonry bees make lots of holes in my barn too. They did use a very sandy mortar between my granite then I presume its a lime mortar over the top.....We also have lots of wood core with clay/straw fill covered in lime render....the bees love the exposed stuff too!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS