Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pour ons?  (Read 1542 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Pour ons?
« on: April 25, 2013, 01:35:00 pm »
Just wondered what you all put on the goats and if it is just internal parasite control? I worm based on fec but notice goats are a bit itchy and some have flakey skin.  I think mainly it is thistles in the hay (roll on end of batch!) but do they suffer with any bugs?  I have checked through and can't see sign of anything.

They do seem to love dust baths, is this normal? The kids who were Persil white now look like they fell down the coal cellar!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Pour ons?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 02:37:20 pm »
If I can see lice I sprinkle some farmyard louse powder on (blue pot, countrywide) and it does the trick. Sore hocks that have been chewed have some sudocrem on. One of our wethers needs Ivomectin injection each year as he gets such bad mange attacks that he gets infected.
A good bath and groom seems to de-itch ours (when the weather is nice and warm!)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 03:49:05 pm »
Well it's definitely coming up for bath time (and for long-coated GG's combing out their coats-time),but not yet warm enough. My goats do suffer from flakey skin at this time of year - a bath and out in the sunshine normally sort it.
I am also getting covered in goat hair every time I go anywhere near them.... ::)
If they do have lice, CoopersSpot-on (for sheep) does the trick,if not Eprinex does as well, bu needs vet prescription. Found that wiht longer coated goats pour-on is best.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 06:35:57 pm »
I second Coopers Spot on for external parasites.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS