Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping cattle adjacent to alpacas  (Read 2653 times)

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
Keeping cattle adjacent to alpacas
« on: April 24, 2013, 03:24:40 pm »
Hi,

Later this year we are looking to get a couple of Dexters or Aberdeen Angus. The field they will be in is adjacent to our neighbours alpaca's.

Our neighbour is concerned about the risk of TB and is looking for us to put an electric fence the keep the cattle away from the post and rail fence - his alpaca's being on the other side of the fence.

We will be new to keeping cattle but as I understand it the cattle will have been tested for TB as per regulations and (unless I'm wrong) alpaca are not subject to the same regulations?

My questions are:
1. Do you consider he is reasonable in requesting that I erect an electric fence?
2. Do you consider there is a real risk to either his alpaca's or our cattle?

The current (2013) TB testing interval for our CPH number 12 months.

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 08:47:52 am by P6te »
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Keeping cattle adjacent to alpacas
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 04:33:37 pm »
You are correct. Alpacas and other camelids are extremely efficient TB carriers, much more so than cattle, but because the cattle TB test which isnt brilliant on cattle is much less so on alpacas, there is no testing regime in place. However responsible alpaca breeders are testing their herd, and if TB is found, those animals should be slaughtered.
Given the habits of alpacas (who do spit tho some say only llamas do) they are also more likely to pass on TB to humans :-( 
Cattle are poor spreaders of TB, they dont shed it nearly as much as camelids and dare I say it badgers who shed large quantities of the virus while appearing healthy until they eventually succumb.
So, the request that a fence be erected -  is a reasonable one.
However, you are both entitled to keep stock (not just the one who put them there first)  and the cost of this extra disease proof fencing is undoubtedly for both of your benefits in each of your eyes ie you (justifiably) should be worried about TB from the alpacas, they (probably a bit less justifiably scientifically) are worried about it going the other way. 
The cost of separation fencing (which both of you would benefit from) should be shared IMO. Either a 'march fence' in the boundary with a shared cost and upkeep or each side stock fences sufficiently to keep their animals away from the other. Given camelid habits that should be a bit further than 'non touching distance' as spitting could spread it in an airborne manner.
The difficulty might be that if they read the science they might realise that in reality their animals present the greater risk to yours than vice versa, and if they hold out long enough you might feel you have to fence - giving them what they want without any of the cost.
Their alpacas MAY have been tested for TB, i would ask them if they have and if they have a regular test programme in place. If they have no intention of doing so and think it is an outrageous idea to suggest it, I would take the view that since you are testing annually so know your herd is clear, they should pay for the fence wholly themselves since they are presenting by far the greater risk. Would recommend you  direct them to the following website so they can see the extent of the issue in camelids in the UK.
One thing you dont clarify is who paid for/is responsible for the existing post and rail fence - in some ways the other person should be adding extra layers of separation if they are not now happy with that fence which was previously satisfactory.
http://www.alpacatb.com/

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 05:05:17 pm »
Comprehensive and even-handed response from lachanandmarcus :thumbsup:

As I understand it, any testing in alpacas is hardly worth the bother as it's a very unreliable test in that species.

I do understand your neighbour's concern; TB can arise in closed herds, and just because an animal has been tested TB-free it doesn't mean it'll be TB-free next time...  So you are both at risk from each other's livestock and lam's suggestion that you share the cost of making the current fence into a double-with-airgap one is a very fair one, I'd say.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 09:27:47 pm »
Many thanks lachlanandmarcusand and Sally.

Very comprehensive and helpful answers. I'll be talking to our neighbours and will let you know the outcome.

BTW - the existing fence is the responsibility of our neighbours and not us.

Thanks again,

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS