Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Has anyone heard the cuckoo yet?  (Read 7338 times)

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Has anyone heard the cuckoo yet?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 09:19:41 am »
First cuckoo yesterday morning :)

Also had the whimbrel over this morning.

Helen

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 09:57:19 pm »
No worries La Novice.
Life in The Limosine (La Creuse)?
Well - we are very much in touch with the seasons, the ground and rural ways. We live in a cluster of 4 houses surrounded by Limousin rouge cattle sold as "pink veal". Mums, bulls and calves in the same fields and the veal is mature compared to what is sold in the UK. Timber is the only other industry and we have lots of lakes to swim in in the hot summers. Winters are seriousley cold and running water water is an issue when it gets to -20. Hunting is the norm so walks in the woods is nich guht ! 3 mushroom pickers and 2 other hunters got killed the other year by "hunters". we home kil and burcher our pigs, ducks, rabbits and chickens and veg is planted in log rows turned by ancient tractors ( they did use bullocks). Life is good but hard work- have a look at my web site to see how much wood I cut and haul on a hay barrow ( up hill) just to keep warm in winter. summer is too hot to work after late morning but the evenings are busy. Finally - there are 8000 Brits in the Limousin because life is good and land is cheap. Lots of UK trades people and lots of smallholders. Hope this gives a flavour of life out here.
Martin
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 10:24:17 am »
Heard the first Cuckoo of the year a couple of weeks ago.
 :sunshine:

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 01:07:16 pm »
I've just been round to my cider making friend, who is dying to hear his first cuckoo, as apparently, you have to hear it before you can try this years cider!  Never heard of that old wives tale before today.  needless to say, as I have already heard a cuckoo at mine, he's coming over this afternoon!   ;D   

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 07:27:27 pm »
I heard my first one this morning. I had to go all the way to Whitchurch in Shropshire to hear my first one in a couple of years.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 12:04:30 pm »
Heard the first last week, and not again since. Not looking good.

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 08:15:43 pm »
Hearing the cuckoo most  days at work in my part of Kent, though he is starting to sound a little hoarse now. Saw the 1st house martin on 24th April, and swift on15th May. Hardly any swifts or martin about though, which is a worry  :( . Thanks for your replies folks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS