Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Problems with my Nipples...  (Read 3355 times)

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Nr. Stansted Airport, Essex/Herts
    • Horticultural Services
Problems with my Nipples...
« on: April 23, 2013, 10:10:14 pm »
For all you dirty-minded people who have opened this thinking its about human nipples in some kind of fetish... Shame on you! 
This is about poultry nipple drinkers!

I bought a load of nipples online, just the nipples themselves, ready to screw into whatever.
I screwed one into a bottle lid, and hung the bottle upsidedown.

The chickens figured it out quickly, but the nipples don't seem to let any air back in.  So the bottle sucks in slightly, then the vacume stops any more water coming out.

I pierced the bottle, which solved the vacume issue, but the nipples let out quite a lot in one go.

Are nipples supposed to be fitted to airtight containers?

Do I try a stiffer bottle?

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Problems with my Nipples...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 11:09:15 pm »
So you have a nipple sucking problem  :roflanim:
Or wonder if stiffer is better  :innocent:

Sorry, couldn't help it  :innocent: I think you need a more professional type of help than I can offer.

Edited to say
I am not familiar with these bottles so will watch this post with interest.  I use the upturned poultry drinkers.
What are the benefits of a nipple type to an upturned type  :dunce:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 11:20:56 pm by Mammyshaz »

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 10:58:24 am »
I need to replace a few standard drinkers as they are damaged, and need a few more.  But I have had a few issues with them in some if the coops...

If I hang them the wind swings them, and the birds bump into them, spilling water out.
If I sit them on the floor on their legs the birds knock them over.
If I sit them on the floor with the legs folded the birds kick dirt in them.
In both the latter cases the birds perch on them and fowl the water, excuse the pun!

Nipple drinkers:
Are cleaner
Waste less water
Can be used on young poults
Can be used for other small animals
Are a lot cheaper!

A lot of people screw them into large lidded buckets, but I don't have anything sturdy enough to hang that much water in one place...

But I don't know if the buckets are supposed to be airtight!

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 04:30:37 pm »
Just a little update:  I stabbed a small hole in each bottle, and now the nipple drinkers seem to work quite well.  The let out a fair bit of water with each peck, but they don't drip, so I'll be testing them on more coops soon...

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 08:56:02 am »
Hi,no the buckets aren't supposed to be air tight.I found as you have quite a bit of water goes on the flaw when they use them.
Graham.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 08:21:54 pm »
If it is the nipple drinker that you usually insert in square plastic tubing the head of water in the header tank seals them after the chicken has had a drink .
The drinkers are set to such a height in the poultry houses so that the chooks have to reach up to drink ensuring that the vast majority of water goes down their throats not on the floor to help produce ammonia .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS