Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: diarrohea in lambs  (Read 1684 times)

Fosterlambfarm

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Muirkirk
diarrohea in lambs
« on: April 24, 2013, 06:17:15 pm »
i have 2 foster lambs with diarrohea. tried lamb reviver and scour halt but doesnt seem to be drying them up :/ if anyone has any ideas or knows of a better way could you let me know? iv even tried mixing milk with rusks
C mccrossan, foster lamb farm

The Irish Shepherd

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: diarrohea in lambs
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 06:20:55 pm »
2 squirts of Spectam, morning and evening for 3 days, cut back on the milk.

Could also give 1cc of betomox if you have it

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 08:40:37 pm »
Also important to give the lambs some electrolytes while they are scouring, you can replace some of the bottle feeds with electrolyte, they are usually very keen to take it if they are dehydrated and have lost salts due to scouring.
I make up an electrolyte mix but you can purchase electrolyte tablets from your vet or agri merchants which you dissolve in warm water.

Fosterlambfarm

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Muirkirk
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 09:18:23 pm »
i seem to have the problem sorted jus that im now getting lambs that are 2 weeks old falling hypothermic while in the shed:/ theve been fine up until now, had to give one glucose through the belly n into a heat box earlier n its not even cold :/
C mccrossan, foster lamb farm

Alicenz

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 11:37:05 pm »
Hi,The chill may be to do with the upset stomach, make sure to keep the sick ones warm and seperate from the healthy lambs, as these things spread so quickly.  If they are cold wool lamb covers available in nz from farm gear retailers can help keep them warm, I expect you will be able to get these .  Make sure also that the bedding (hay?) is dry and no draughts. Check too that they dont have watery mouth- wet and mucusy around the nose and mouth, this often goes along with being chilled.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 04:01:21 am »
If its scour, stop the milk and feed instead Pfizer Scour Formula.  It's for calves but works just as well for lambs.  Feed that for 24 hours at least, up to 48 if the lambs haven't improved.  Then reintroduce milk gently. ;)

Good luck.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS