Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: eaml2 for pigs to slaughter - Vet details?  (Read 3364 times)

maffp

• Joined Aug 2010
eaml2 for pigs to slaughter - Vet details?
« on: April 23, 2013, 04:29:03 pm »
Hi!

My pigs are going to slaughter next week (first time I've done it) and I was just filling in the eaml2 form but it is asking for the vet responsible for the site. We've never needed veterinary services and the only thing administered was a wormer about nine months ago which we did ourselves. It says I have to fill in that section. Do I just pick any vet? Put my name? Please help!

Many thanks,
Matthew

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: eaml2 for pigs to slaughter - Vet details?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 04:52:54 pm »
I think Animal Health like you to at least register your livestock with a vet, even if you never use them.  I don't know if this is a legal requirement or anything.  Someone else may know different :).

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 05:44:02 pm »
yep it says so in the sheep handbook so im sure its the same for pigs. i think its to ensure that in the event of an emergency treatment doesnt get delayed while you try to find a vet as out of hours they might not be able to 'put you on the books'.

maffp

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 05:47:48 pm »
Thanks for the speedy replies...

Hmm... seems a bit of a bind now they're going to slaughter to register them at a vets! Could I just put in the name of a local vet do you reckon?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 06:02:56 pm »
Have you not seen a vet in relation to any other animals e.g. a dog/cat? If so I would put that vet down.
If not, and you are going to keep animals its a sure bet that you will want a vet from time to time so you can just register with your local vet and let them know what type of animals you keep, or are intending to keep.
That way you will be covered, even if you never need to use them.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 06:23:53 pm »
We registered ours with a vet - it simply took a phone call so not too onerous.

maffp

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 06:33:37 pm »
Fair point... Just rang local one and sorted. Thought registering (like most things) was going to incur fees! Please excuse my hesitation.

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 06:39:01 pm »
Fair point... Just rang local one and sorted. Thought registering (like most things) was going to incur fees! Please excuse my hesitation.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 06:53:39 pm »
Not a legal requirement, it's another bit of eaml-2 that demands info that you do not technically need to provide !

Having said that it's sensible to have a vet's name in case of emergency, but officialdom do nothing with this, so doesn't really matter what you put in there.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS