Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to shear?  (Read 2501 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
When to shear?
« on: April 23, 2013, 02:53:55 pm »
i wondered when to shear my ewes?

I'm in the south and Today is very warm (shorts and t shirt weather) and my poor ewes are suffering. My biggest worry is that getting  strike as I was advised to put clik on after shearing.

I hate seeing my ewes distressed!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: When to shear?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 03:01:45 pm »
We have ours done in May (12th), not sure how long these warm days will last but chances are we will chill down again and have more rain so I hold out a bit. I'm dagging mucky bums tomorrow to reduce chances of strike though and then will clik about 2 weeks after shearing when theres a bit of growth back (I'm sure that's what Singing shearer advised last year anyway?)

Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 03:33:43 pm »
Hand shearing I did early July but still had some issue with strike. Last year had them sheared and that was early June to fit in with shearer, it felt too early but they seemed fine and no fly strike, so will prob go earlier rather than later again this year.

Daniel Does

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Lincolnshire
    • Daniel Does
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 05:16:11 pm »
If the weather for next week doesn't look too bizarre, I'll be shearing ours this weekend. A little early, but they're due to start lambing from the tenth of may and this way I can shear them twice (they're Lincoln Longwools), probably do it again if there's a cooler week in August so they don't get sunburnt.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 07:34:39 pm »
I do mine first week of june weather permitting of course but usually around then.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 08:02:46 pm »
Juneish - I am in the thick of lambing now and it would be impossible to get them in to shear without compromising welfare.

And also: its one semi-warm day - the first for a long time, dont panic!  ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 09:15:51 pm »
Shearer booked for 25th May  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS