Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A happy post- the grass is growing and the orphan crew are out in the field  (Read 2191 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
 :excited:  happy days- our orphan flock went out into the field last week. Within 10 minutes they had escaped  :roflanim:  but fingers crossed no more escapees since we blocked off the bottom of the gates (they were going under!)
Cut down to 1 feed of creep per day now owing to dr. green being in abundance... the hard work is done now, they need to learn to be lambs now and distance a bit from me. Some of them are really getting quite big now!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Ooh, that's a lot of grass  :thumbsup: Ours is coming, slowly. If I could get the bl00dy fertiliser on, that would help.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
The last 2 weeks it's really shot up. This field had dung spread on it after Christmas though which would have helped the growth. They have 8 acres of it! Now just got to persuade OH to let me get some ewes and start my own mini flock...  8)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Lucky lambs!  I too am very envious of that grass.

Oh of course you need some ewes - 8 acres of that sort of grass can carry up to 40 sheep, can't it? ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
I tried to sweeten the deal with choosing Texels as that's what breed OH prefers- a lot of our orphans this year are texel x and have a super shape. No chance getting 40... think 5 or 6 is more reasonable but he's still saying no  :-\

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
So... are you going to subdivide the field, and do some mowing, and otherwise manage the grass as otherwise it will be too much for the lambs...  ;) :innocent: :eyelashes: :-J
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
It's going to be cut for silage soon  :-[

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS