Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to stop feeding ewes concentrates?  (Read 3061 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
When to stop feeding ewes concentrates?
« on: May 01, 2013, 05:44:47 pm »
How many weeks afterl ambing untill I can stop feeding concentrates? They are out on quite good grass but obviously I worry about the ewes drying up.  The oldest lambs are 4 weeks and youngest 2 and a half weeks!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: When to stop feeding ewes concentrates?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 05:53:11 pm »
What sort of condition are the ewes in?  If good and the grazing's good I generally tail off once the youngest is around 3 weeks.  (Our lambing period is 3 weeks.)  This year it's been 4 weeks as the grass has been so slow to get going.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 06:00:22 pm »
I'd say they are spot on condition wise. I'll give them another few weeks then start to reduce the amount. Thank you :)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 07:42:28 pm »
thank you from me too - that was going to be one of my next questions!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 06:24:08 am »
Read an interesting article on feeding ewes. Many people stop concentrates at 3-4 weeks,  but this is the time of peak milk flow so they really need hard feed to support them. There can be a problem with teat damage due to hungry lambs suckling too hard to get the milk so more risk of mastitis etc. The article suggested feeding for 6-8 weeks post lambing.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 09:02:12 am »
When the grass starts growing.

This season aside (given the nature of 2012 and spring 2013), unless you have loads of sheep per acre there really is no need to be feeding concs after the grass starts growing (usually march round here, but I guess april/may the further north you go).

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 09:37:39 am »
I feed a little bit for the first couple of weeks if the weather is horrid or there's no grass, otherwise they don't get anything, but they are Shetlands so a low maintenance doodle anyway lamb wise :-))

Stanlamb

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 08:51:22 am »
We're still feeding.  Half our ewes lambed in January, the rest at the end of March.  Still getting 2lb per head daily but the lambs are obviously tucking in.  We have had absolutely no growth until a fortnight ago.  Starting to come now but oh so slowly.  Feed has cost a fortune this year but once the feed I have in now is finished, we're buying no more!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS