Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Removing marker/identification paint?  (Read 7993 times)

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
Removing marker/identification paint?
« on: May 03, 2013, 04:12:57 pm »
Any hints on how to remove ‘stock marker paint’ from a lambs fleece.  I know it’ll wear off but I don’t want my ram lamb getting a complex about a pink coat !!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Removing marker/identification paint?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 04:29:02 pm »
If it's the tin can spray paint it will wash off - I guess you could try some soap suds.  But use it cool; wool + soap + heat + agitation --> felt  :o.

If it's the thick 'branding' paste used to permanently mark fleece.. well, it's a permanent mark.  It will not wash off.

If it's raddle, used to mark ewes' bums when they get tupped, it will wash out.

And you know, as do we all, that it isn't the ram lamb who's embarrassed. ;) :roflanim:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 05:09:23 pm »
Sorry should have given more detail.  The lamb came with the marker on its side, looks to have been sprayed on for identification.  I did try soap and water without much effect.  I suppose I could try Veg.oil.

You’re right, I haven’t found my feminine side  :innocent:,  so do I leave him pink or give him a felt coat  :o

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 05:18:50 pm »
Either overspray in a colour you don't hate  ::), or trim the tips of the fleece?  Otherwise, yes, leave him pink - definitely don't put a coat on him, it might conceal a flystrike. :o
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 07:34:09 pm »
The coat was a joke re your "But use it cool; wool + soap + heat + agitation --> felt"

I'll just leave well alone, thanks for the banter..

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 10:25:27 pm »
The coat was a joke re your "But use it cool; wool + soap + heat + agitation --> felt"
I do feel a :dunce:  ::).  Must be sleep deprivation  :-J

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS