Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Holidays from hell  (Read 5347 times)

lovespigs

Holidays from hell
« on: July 07, 2009, 08:59:42 am »
Just recently saw this programme on tv about the holidays that go badly wrong for people. Just wondering to real peopel suffer some of the awful thing this programme claimed????

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Holidays from hell
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 02:34:56 pm »
TV can really make a drama out of a crisis  ;D Can't say we've had any real disasters. Long may THAT continue.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 04:39:39 pm »
We were delayed 8 hrs flying into. Washington D.c .A very big black woman shouted at an old man. I told her that she shouldn't talk to people as if they were dogs. she threatened me with not being allowed into America. drama! Then because of the delay we missed our onward flight so the airline put us into a hotel. when the receptionist asked for our passports we found that my husband and daughters was missing. have you ever tried to find a british consulate or embassy in Washington. Impossible! next we telephoned the airport police,yes they had the passports and we should go and get them. they were in an office twenty miles from the airport. Meanwhile back at the ranch as they say, we tried to book our onward flight. whilst we had been messing about with the passports all the flights were now fully booked. the first flight we could get was two days away!
We eventually arrived at the apartment we were renting at around 1.30 in the morning. It was absolutely filthy. Doors were hanging off their hinges etcbut there was no one we could complain too. my husband almost had a nervous breakdown and the next morning we were out at the crack of dawn finding other accomodation. we then had a row with the agent who had rented us the original apartment. Oh figure out the rest yourselves!?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 05:39:27 pm »
They do exist. About 10 or so years ago we went to Bali for 2 weeks and for the 3rd week we flew to Lombok. Lombok is a small and beautiful island an hours flight from Bali. On the 3rd morning of us being there the telephone rant at 8.00am and I was told there had been a terrorist coup and as it was very early staged it would be safer if we were to be evacuated. We were told we would be collected at 10.00am and taken to the airport where we would return to Bali.

An hour or so later we received a telephone call to say that the terrorists had seized the airport so we would be shipped off the island and not to panic but it was the Christians that were being killed! Anyway, we got taken to a beach where we spent about 9 hours waiting... Every so often a bus load of soldiers would arrive and with each bus load the guns got bigger. The Australian Ambassador was helicoptered in but he could do nothing. We spent all day on this beach in  the baking heat with no shelter, no food and no drink. Eventually the boat arrived and we were put in small boats and taken to the main ship. We left all luggage on the beach as we were told to do and were told they may or may not get the luggage aboard.

When the small boats reached the big one the sea was very rough. Someone from the ship reached out to grab us, one at atime, but if both boats separated with the swell we had to let go of each other for safety, we had no life jackets and by now it was dark. Anyway, we made it safely back to Bali and were then bothered by the press wanting interviews. The next day we saw coverage on the TV and it was so organised and everyone had life jackets on etc. The difference TV can make eh? We had chaos and no one would tell us when the boat would arrive. We later learnt that the hotel next to the one we were staying had been burnt to the ground and people did die.

That's my holiday from hell...

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 06:14:07 pm »
my (now wife) girlfriend came over to stay for an intended 3 months when we first met but after getting one dog over here was refused permission to enter the country. the reason being that she was intending to stay longer than two weeks (the visa waiver scheme allows you to stay for 6 months) she was eventually allowed to stay for a week then she had to go back and then apply for a fiancee visa and return to stay for 6 months. what a palaver as they say
Ian

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 06:21:22 pm »
Went away on honeymoon and came back on different planes..never spoke since...happy days :farmer:
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 07:11:37 pm »
First trip to USA - car engine caught fire as we drove along the road it was all down hill from then on. 

Rhyan & Melissa

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 11:40:57 am »
Just got back from one in Devon.
Terrible weather, terrible surf, terrible food, terrible beer, overpriced, shooting trip got cancelled, publicans and shop workers ruder than London.

came home 10 days early!
Rhyan & Melissa

Pea Pod Burgundy Ltd

Blog:      www.peapodburgundy.blogspot.com/
Twitter:   www.twitter.com/peapodburgundy
Web:      www.peapodburgundy.co.uk

You can also find us on Facebook and Myspace!

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 01:23:16 pm »
Oh no...sounds horrible.

Where in Devon?
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

starcana

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Holidays from Hell
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 01:29:42 pm »
Ooooohhhh, Castle Farm you must tell us more. I'm guessing it's not longer painful, or I wouldn't ask, but sounds like some story!!!!!

Rhyan & Melissa

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 08:42:15 am »
Croyd  >:(
Rhyan & Melissa

Pea Pod Burgundy Ltd

Blog:      www.peapodburgundy.blogspot.com/
Twitter:   www.twitter.com/peapodburgundy
Web:      www.peapodburgundy.co.uk

You can also find us on Facebook and Myspace!

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 09:10:38 am »
 I'm still waiting for the full story of the honeymoon from "castle farm" You can't just leave us hanging on!

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 10:23:30 am »
Are you kidding....half the forum is waiting for that story!  :farmer:

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 10:40:57 am »
Hi Castlefarm,

Please Please Please, get around to telling us about your Holiday,
Might sound like a stupid question but are you still Married?.
I have heard about couple that live together all their lives and never ever speak!!.
kind regards
Joe

sandy

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 07:00:07 pm »
All of them durring my 21 year marrage!!!! sorry kids!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS