Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Um, still not hatched....  (Read 4607 times)

donny

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Weymouth, Dorset
  • Do you know this breed??
Um, still not hatched....
« on: July 06, 2009, 11:52:12 pm »
Hi all

I had duck eggs in my incubator but it failed on me, i managed to try and keep things warm in a temp setup, i repaired the incubator pcb and worked fine, so, put eggs back in, out of the remaining four i was left with one.

Now as i am new to incubating i suspect that the last one has died prior to pipping...
The egg looks as though some one has drawn shapes inside the egg with a fine pencil. Hard to explain but it seems as though besides the huge air sack, it has other pockets of air in it. The egg was due for the final 28 days yesterday (sunday), but as yet all looks the same and no cheeping..

Any ideas

Regards

Don

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Um, still not hatched....
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 09:15:35 am »
give it two more days and if nothing is happening open at the airsac end and see what happened. the dead chucks we have are usually at the fully formed but small stage with the odd fully formed one.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 02:50:01 pm »
Donny, I was trying to find your other posts - do you have any more pics of the ducks you want to know the breed of? It's hard to see on a wee pic. How big are the ducks?
:&> :&>

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 03:57:21 pm »
Hi Don,

The fine lines are blood threads, really thin and normal, I have had problems with hatching ducks too. 
Do you have a candling lamp so that you can look for a heartbeat movement?  If not, give it another day then break it open at the air gap to see whats happening, sometimes we get hens that hatch two days later than the rest of them.

At the moment I have Ostrich eggs in my incubator, but my candling lamp is on the blink and I don't know if they are going to hatch or not yet.

Good Luck
Joe

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 04:51:34 pm »
A mini maglite torch works really well!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 05:27:05 pm »
don't laugh, I put the egg with one hand under my jumper (it's dark in there!), held the maglite torch against the egg from below with the other and looked in through the neck hole. The things you do if you don't have a candling light, lol. And no, it's not a scary sight, I was concentrating on the egg not on the shadows or flabs! :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 09:19:44 pm »
One of my ducks started going broody before I left on holiday so she's been sitting on an egg for 8 days.  Some bliddy pest went and nicked it this afternoon - don't know if it was a magpie or a rat. Haven't seen traces of rats but loads of magpies.  Would one go in the pop hole for the egg?  The nest box is just inside the pop hole.  Have given her two more eggs, added lots more straw, and moved the nest box nearer the back of the shed. Never see Jack being very busy so they may not be fertile.  Might try the maglite later on. Thanks for the tip Kerstin.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 12:36:16 am »
Annie, I can still offer you a very fertile drake...if he won't find a new home soon I'll have to have him for dinner, which will be a very very big step (hurdle) to take for me...:&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 12:57:35 am »
I only have three females so it wouldn't be fair to take another drake, but thanks all the same.  Jack prefers to work in the burn and there's hardly even a trickle in it just now! lol
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 09:24:11 am »
yes they will. they are highly intelligent and will pick there moment well.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 05:58:18 pm »
Two eggs still there - keeping fingers crossed it isn't a magpie.  Have put down rat poison at other side of fence from hens/ducks - well out of reach and in poly bags so they can take it away with them.

How long does she sit before I can 'candle' them to see if there's anything there and what am I looking for?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 06:17:20 pm »
Annie they say to candle after 12 days normally but normally after a week, 8 days you can sometimes see if anything is growing or not. Good luck.

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 12:16:41 pm »
Anything happen with those eggs?.
Joe

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 09:36:02 pm »
Annie they say to candle after 12 days normally but normally after a week, 8 days you can sometimes see if anything is growing or not. Good luck.
Just going to check they are still there - will candle them on 16th and let the forum know if I can see anything.  Saw Rosemary's two teeny babies today(eggs I gave her a few weeks ago).  They are soooo cute!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS