Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can any one identify this bird  (Read 3346 times)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Can any one identify this bird
« on: April 21, 2013, 09:47:59 am »
We found this stuck upside down in a fallen branch so took the branch off and wonder what it is? We did alert the warden but now would like to know what bird it is!!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Can any one identify this bird
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 10:05:42 am »
It's a cross bird, Sandy.   ;D

My little girl thinks it could be a slightly flattened buzzard.  :roflanim:  But she thinks it's tail is quite distinctly barred so she has asked where you live and is looking in her bird book. Bless her.

Was the poor thing okay? Good job you were there.  :relief:

zoe_emma

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 10:10:48 am »

My little girl thinks it could be a slightly flattened buzzard.  :roflanim:  But she thinks it's tail is quite distinctly barred so she has asked where you live and is looking in her bird book. Bless her.

Awww!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 10:17:20 am »
We live in Central Scotland, the woodland walk is well trod so I doubt it was shot as people are up and down that part all the time, its also home to loads of Red Squirrals in hidding  :innocent: ....It was face down bum up when we found it, it was approx a foot from head to toe but not too sure.....looked like it had fell from the tree!!

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 10:57:08 am »
Looks like a buzzard maybe I think !  There feathers differ so much.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 11:24:08 am »
Bust Buzzard with the through a hedge backwards look that is so fashionable these days.  :thumbsup:

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 06:32:32 pm »
OH reckons it's a redtailed hawk?

Helen

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 08:01:37 pm »
poor thing was dazed and upside down, gave my Lab the oppertunity to sniff its bum :innocent:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 08:05:28 pm »
It's a young buzzard.  Probably unwell.  And you probably scared the daylights out of it letting the dog sniff it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 10:15:59 pm »
I thought buzzard as well.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 10:52:41 pm »
The dog found it. Rohan.....otherwise it would be dead as it was trapped in the tree branches that I had to remove to free the bird, Rohan sniffed the bird then  Steve took her away the others did not even notice the bird...the path was very busy with loads of walkers, dogs and children etc, busy Sat afternoon in the sun.....nothing more we could do poor thing, I guess at least our dog was gentle and only sniffed where some dogs would have picked it up :innocent:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 10:59:06 pm by happygolucky »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS