Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poor Baby  (Read 3850 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Poor Baby
« on: April 20, 2013, 09:48:30 am »
I know people have different ideas about bring on youngsters but yesterday while visiting a friend along the road came  a guy driving a little Shetland. Now this guy rents paddocks not that far from me and I think he must be a dealer as ponies come and go quickly. he is into driving. He stop to chat to my friend and I as he knows her. The little pony was puffing away, he had be pulling the cart up a long slow hill. Guy is saying on well he is doing so I asked him how old the pony was. he will be 2 in July !!!! My face said it all, he then said he has only driven him twice and he has been so good. What did he expect a baby pulling a cart to do. anyway once he moved on friend asked me what i thought as he had her walking her 6 month old Shetland foal behind his cart one day to get used to the noise and was talking about her starting long reining. Rant does not cover what I said. he has this little guy up for sale with the flat wooden cart for £1500 and I am sure some mug will buy .

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: Poor Baby
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 11:14:03 am »
Poor baby  :'(  it's so sad when there's nothing you can do. Can only hope he goes to a more considerate home

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 10:41:39 am »
I would like to bring on a youngster as I helped my dad do it in the past. We waited until they were at least  4 years old before doing heavy work. All equines need time to mature. Handle the youngsters as often as possible and get them used to traffic, animals, kids etc but I don't think they have matured physically enough to do too much heavy work with them.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 02:28:10 pm »
Its the same up here, they are driving yearlings over in Co Durham  :( Then some poor sod buys them and the poor horse is ruined  :rant:
Graham

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 09:27:52 pm »
I think some people think because T.B. are racing by the time they are 2 years old then all equines can be worked young. As it takes 5 years for most natives to finish growing and mature no way are they ready for work at 2 years old. I had a warmblood who grew until he was 7 years old, made 18 hands and was fed very carefully from day one. its heart breaking what some stupid people do.

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 11:37:03 pm »
They are not stupid Sabrina, they are making money and they don't give a toss how they do it.

an Arab stud near me has all her foals in tendon boots from about 3 months old as the foals are mostly deformed due to her not having grazing of enough length to enable the young ones to nibble grass, so the front legs become bent.  The state of the mares is bad enough, the stallions never see daylight.  Arab Welfare Society is a joke.  RSPCA another bloody joke.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 02:17:07 pm »
Terrible what people will do for money and I am surprised that she gets away with breeding and keeping her horses that way.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS