Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: grazing rushes  (Read 6271 times)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
grazing rushes
« on: April 20, 2013, 07:59:29 am »
I've just read a write up of a recent  trial on cattle breeds and  reducing rushes by grazing.....

http://www.farminglife.com/news/could-a-traditional-breed-of-irish-cattle-become-another-weapon-in-the-farmer-s-arsenal-1-4917598

anyone have any experience of any particular breed actually reducing rushes by grazing?    I am still deciding what breed of cattle to add to my smallholding... .. a rush grazer could be ideal!  Pasture all unimproved and quite wet with areas of rushes.        I intend mixed grazing on lowish stocking density and would like a traditional breed.

Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: grazing rushes
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 08:39:02 am »
The Moileys are nice but the only one I've met had a kind of wild eye  ;)

Shetlands will also graze rushes and are widely used for conservation grazing. For information contact Ruth Dalton at RBST. She's the Northern Field Officer and also keeps Shetland cattle ruth@rbst.org.uk

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 09:05:05 am »
Yup, my Shetlands (cattle & pony) are doing a great job of munching the rushes  :thumbsup:
But they've only been at it for a couple of months, ask me again at the end of the year  ;)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 05:42:09 pm »
Highlanders certainly eat rushes and dead grass

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 08:15:22 pm »
The Moileys are nice but the only one I've met had a kind of wild eye  ;)

I've only met one too, but she looked very gentle to me. Lovely cows - this would be my choice if we were to keep a rare breed of cattle.

Re the rushes, the only thing here that eats them is the pony, and I think that is only because we don't keep him anywhere that has grass as he is such a fattie!
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 05:12:32 pm »
Our sheep and our ponies - the Fells in particular - seem to eat the rushes to a greater extent than do our cattle, including our Blue Greys (Galloway x Whitebred Shorthorn), Angus and Hereford cattle.  However, the Blue Greys live on our 'fell' (rushy boggy area) with only a little hay over winter, so must be finding something to keep them alive. ;)

They all particularly enjoy eating new growth. :yum:  So if you can top regularly, you'll get more grazing off.

As Dot says, the ponies probably eat rushes as much as they do because, being very good 'do-ers', they are always on very poor grazing. ;  And we probably don't see much damage to rushes on the 'fell' as we've just a handful of cattle up there and it's a massive, and very rushy, area.

Irish Moiled look gorgeous - if there's a conservation reason to keep them, that's great, innit?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 08:11:28 pm »
Irish Moiled look gorgeous - if there's a conservation reason to keep them, that's great, innit?

Some strains are pretty milky too - I believe there is still one herd in Ireland being milk recorded.
Sadly heifers for sale are as hard to find as hen's teeth.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS