Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rearing Ophand lambs.  (Read 8098 times)

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
Rearing Ophand lambs.
« on: April 19, 2013, 08:38:47 pm »
Hi,I am going to keep some orphaned lambs for the first time this year.I normally buy in Stores later in the year.
How much heat will they need I was going to buy several so they can help keep each other warm,I have a fairly large stable,will I need heat lamps to start with and if so how long.I have a very large kitchen with stone flaw so would bringing them in for the first few days week be a better option.

Thanks Graham.
Graham.

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
Re: Rearing Ophand lambs.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 09:07:08 pm »
Hi Graham they shouldn't need any extra heating now, unless they are newborn and still wet, weak or ill etc.  If you have nice straw bedding in the stable they should be fine. Just make sure that they have definitely had plenty of colostrum in their first 24 hours, also worth checking whether their dams had a heptavac, or equivalent booster vaccination prior to lambing.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 09:44:44 pm »
Hi,thanks for the reply,are the dams likely to have had a booster injection.If they haven't would it be best not to have them or are there other alternatives.Its a relief not having to worry about heat lamps.

Thanks Graham.
Graham.

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 10:01:00 pm »
Hi Graham, its really your decision re vaccination against clostridials and pasturella, a lot of flocks will give their ewes prelambing booster so that the lambs obtain protection through the colostrum.    If the ewes were not vaccinated then I personally would be vaccinating the lambs as soon as they were old enough - 3 weeks for their first jab and then a 2nd one 4 weeks afterwards.  Some people don't vaccinate, but its certainly not nice to see a clostridial death for which there is no treatment and could maybe have beeb prevented by vaccination -  we actually had vaccination failures one year and lost 3 sheep as hoggs, since then have given a 3rd booster at around 6 months after the 2nd one as the lambs immune system is not so well developed when they get the first 2 jabs.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 10:11:52 pm »
OK thanks again for the advice.

Graham.
Graham.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 10:12:59 pm »
If it was me I wouldn't bring them in, the weather is warming up now and the stable should be fine. I wouldn't use a heat lamp (but do have one just in case it's needed).
Tips that were passed on to me: good ventilation, fresh water (not too deep), and don't make the straw bed too deep as they can get lost or tangled in it (the bale I had at the time was a very long cut, I have the much shorter cut stuff now).
I'd contact the person you are getting them off re vacs, ask what they have done and what they advise.
 :sheep:

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 10:26:52 pm »
Hi,I have a large field shelter,that I can gate/sheet the front in on would that be better ventilation wise,I can also move some of my other sheep into this field I don't know if it helps them to be around there own kind.

Thanks Graham.
Graham.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 10:39:43 pm »
Mine have a field shelter, last year the bottle fed lambs were in penned sections, and as they grew were allowed out in the day, and put back in at night. I use sheep hurdles for 'gates', good airflow and they can all see each other. I did however board off the lower part (on the outside of the hurdle), just to help give a windbreak for when the wind blew in that direction.
I did all the feeds 'textbook', and they've grown well, size wise, can't tell them from the ones that were with their mums.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 10:49:29 pm »
Hi,the field shelter definitely sounds like the place for them to go.I can gate off the front as you have said.How far up the gates did you board off.Do you bucket feed yours.
Are foxes likely to be a problem.

Thanks Graham
Graham.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 10:06:49 am »
You will need to jag them for colostridials at some point as they wont be getting any passive immunity from the dam. I think a lot of people use lambvac as Heptavac is a bit hard on the lambs.

Alicenz

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 08:30:05 am »
Hi Graham,

I always make sure orphan lambs have good shelter with no draughts, if you get any really bad weather make sure the lambs are protected from that as they dont have their mums for warmth.  Maybe if you expect a storm the barn is a good place.  I tend to reckon on better to be able to sleep at night and not worry knowing they are warm and dry.  Vacs. is a really good thing to do, heartbreaking to have to put what is often the most healthy big lamb down because of clost. or tetenus.  And incredibly awful way to go.  If you do vacs make sure to do the booster. 

Watch out for eye infections as well, orbinan ointment for eyes is great available from your vet.  Also watch that their droppings are normal and there are no mucusy mouths and noses. separate and treat any that get sick,keeping them warm.  Lambs in groups because they are so close and often sharing bottles can spread any stomach upsets or eye problem very quickly. also keep an eye out for stiff joints which can be treated with antibiotics when caught early.  Over feeding or variation in strength and warmth of the milk can cause bloat  so be careful to keep the mix the same. best of luck

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 08:40:44 am »
Hi thanks for all the advice.Would I be better off spending a little bit more and buying in lambs 2 or 3 weeks old,would I be past some of the danger points.How much looking after do they take at this age.I don't currently live at my holding,so would this be a better way to go.

Thanks Graham
Graham.

Alicenz

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 08:59:34 am »
Hi Graham, mine are all (27 of varying ages) pets, so ive tended to molly coddle them feeding them five times per day when very young as it says to on the milk powder bag.  However many people if they are a little older feed them just three times a day.  It is alot of work, but great fun when all going well.  Slightly older lambs if available could be the go, but they would have to be handreared already or you will end up spending HOURS teaching them to drink, and that is no fun!  Talk to the person you will get them from see what they think.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 09:11:08 am »
Hi thanks for all the advice.Would I be better off spending a little bit more and buying in lambs 2 or 3 weeks old,would I be past some of the danger points.How much looking after do they take at this age.I don't currently live at my holding,so would this be a better way to go.

Thanks Graham
2-3 weeks old they will probably need 3-4 feeds per day and creep introduced too. If you don't live on your holding maybe orphans isn't the best way forward, how about buying a few store lambs at market to finish yourself?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 11:14:59 am »
Not only that, but at 2-3 weeks old, most of the hard work has been done.  I generally either sell them at a few days old, or rear them to fat weight.  I guess if I had way too many one year I maybe would sell a batch that are established on the bottle-rack or multi-bucket - but I'd want quite a bit for them as I'd have done quite a bit of work to get them to that stage.

I generally start to wean from 5 or 6 weeks, so long as I can get them to eat creep.  I don't stop milk altogether until they're eating at least half-a-pound of creep per head per day - but sometimes you have to let them be hungry in order to push them to take the creep ;), so I generally have them on two bottles a day by 4 weeks old.  My milk mix is a 1L/head/day (max) one, so two full 500ml bottles is still a full ration, just they will get hungry between feeds so will start to eat creep, and will munch the hay or grass, whichever they have available.

If they're eating creep, but not enough, and are 5 weeks old or older, I'll reduce the amount of milk to stimulate their appetite for creep.  I reduce quantity of milk rather than weaken the mix, so their tummies don't feel full - they often go directly to the creep to fill up after emptying their partial bottle. ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS