Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cattle trailer  (Read 8276 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Cattle trailer
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 05:25:46 pm »
do you travel cattle with partitions if they are different ages/sex? can you put them in together if they are same age - even if they are horned? thanks

i wonder why you can get horse partitions for a cattle trailer but not side gates on a horse trailer. - or can you?
i have a perfectly good 505 pony trailer but its not legal for cattle without the sidegates.

jacoblambuk

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 08:55:34 pm »
It might sound daft but can you not make some side gates. what do you want to do with your cows i used a horsebox to move my highlands from one field to another no problem use gates or hurdles.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 08:59:39 pm »
we need a trailer for a show coming up, plus abattoir - where im told trading standards can inspect the transport and refuse entry without side gates. i do worry if im not legal.  :thinking:

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 09:17:02 pm »
do you travel cattle with partitions if they are different ages/sex? can you put them in together if they are same age - even if they are horned? thanks

you don't need to partition off cattle who are a similar size, if a calf and cow though i'd partition the calf up front then walk the cow in. If a heifer was bulling i'd be inclined to split her from the others to prevent injuries. Always let the cattle mix at least 24 hours before loading preferably longer to allow for the herd to sort out hierarchy.

Horned cattle ... i de-horn mine but i have witnessed long horns and highland loaded together in boxes but don't mix de-horned cattle with horned cattle as the de-horned ones don't know the dangers.

Bulls i have only ever carried bulls either on there own or mixed with other bulls. Don't mix bulls with other cattle though or have a double partition between them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS