Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Free Horse Muck/Manure  (Read 3121 times)

The Irish Shepherd

• Joined Apr 2013
Free Horse Muck/Manure
« on: April 18, 2013, 04:32:40 pm »
If anyone within travelling distance of Thetford, Norfolk wants horse manure, we have a muck heap that we dont need, it would need to be left to rot more once moved, its straw/shavings mixed, but because of reseeding all our holding, we dont require as much this year.

We have a collection tin for a horse rescue  charity, and would encourage anyone who takes some to make a small donation,  ;)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Free Horse Muck/Manure
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 05:10:53 pm »
The farmer I buy my straw from takes my muck heap every year saving  me the worry of how to get rid. Might be worth while asking any local farmer who grows crops if they would like it.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 05:56:23 pm »
Or contact a local veggiebox supplier - ours is sending their farmer neighbour with a 16 ton trailer to take away the Massive Mound imminently! Great for them as they have 3 large poly tunnels to cultivate and great for me cos the muck goes and i get free jam and the biggest cucumbers in the veggiebox :-))))

The Irish Shepherd

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 05:57:15 pm »
Hi Sabrina & Marcus we are persona no grata with local farmers, as we produce organic/natural equine feeds, and also source/sell organic hay and non chemical treated straw. In Norfolk, its the sprayer capital of the UK !!

One of the biggest reasons for sick horses in the UK is the chemicals going into the ground.

Would prefer it to go to someone who could really use it.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 11:57:51 pm »
Pity about that, Farmer that takes mine uses it on his fields and says its great stuff. I have enough room where my muck heap is stored so it gets well rotted down. I keep a smaller one round the back and every few years I have the best compost you could wish for. Takes a while to get to that stage but so worth it.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 10:07:43 am »
we do have neighbours and friends taking stuff and they get first dibs but they cant keep up with the poo monsters that our horses are!! also when we first moved here and didnt know people a large historic pile built up so its mainly that which the veggiebox people are getting, agree with you neighbours and friends come first.
we dont use any sprays either, handpull the weeds and use blood tests and wormcounts to minimise wormer use on the horses (usually just one a year for encysted redworm as that doesnt show up on any tests). sheep arent routinely fluked or wormed, have only had to fluke dose one in five years, tho the ewes do get a dose of heptavac pre lambing thats it.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS