Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blackies  (Read 1885 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Blackies
« on: April 18, 2013, 02:59:52 pm »
We were out and about in the car yesterday in torrential rain and a howling gale.  So many lambs hunched and shivering, except the Blackies  :thumbsup: (Scottish Blackface, maybe Linton)   What super little animals they are, sturdy, hardy and with a good thick birth coat.  They were playing in the rain as if they didn't notice it - in fact I don't think they did notice it  8)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Blackies
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 03:15:05 pm »

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 03:19:17 pm »
Have to admit the Blackie orphans  we have here are a lot stronger than the others
Graham

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 04:32:55 pm »
Theyre lovely until the ewes give birth, look at the lamb like its an alien landing, give it the V finger and walk off....:-DDD at least thats what the farmers round here say (who had Blackies man and boy for decades).
However they are very tough and very beautiful! One neighbour still has a flock for breeding scotch mules, (he does the standard approach of putting a blue faced leicester ram on them to make scotch mules who are then mated with texel ('terminal sire') to produce the end product of a very meaty lamb for selling) and up on the hills where I hack they are common as they are one of the few breeds that thrive.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 04:41:51 pm »
These are Blackies aren't they? https://twitter.com/BBCMarkSimpson/status/324493580381077504/photo/1

From the little bit of them you can see, I'd say they're Swaledales - Blackies shouldn't have the white rings around the eyes and have a very differently-shaped nose.  But given that the shot is taken in Ireland, it could be the local Blackie-like hill breed. ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS