Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambs in the back garden.. doing a good job of mowing the lawn- NEW PHOTO 18/4  (Read 4200 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
 8)  Here's my orphan crew tonight, I moved the fence out slightly to give them a patch of fresh grass, they were very happy :thumbsup:  the last batch of 5 were weaned this week so hopefully they will go out over the weekend with these guys, will have another shuffle around with the fence and give them a bit more fresh grass then.
I'm really chuffed with how they are looking considering the weather and lack of grass  :)  they are on creep twice a day with a bit of sugarbeet mixed in to bulk it out.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 10:54:37 am by twizzel »

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Re: Lambs in the back garden.. doing a good job of mowing the lawn
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 08:06:02 pm »
So envious  of all that grass !!! Lovely lambs though
Graham

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 08:17:44 pm »
I'm trying to save it as much as I can, they can't go out in the fields yet until the cows go out and even then most of the grass is saved for silage... so the back garden is precious!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 08:23:52 pm »
Our back garden is still under a foot of snow ! and where there is no snow in the fields the grass has not started to grow at all yet
Graham

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 08:32:53 pm »
:( we've got a bit in the fields, spread dung on them in late Jan and the cattle have been off of them since late September, but still nowhere near what there should be for this time of year. Fingers crossed it warms up soon eh?

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 09:32:58 pm »
They loom lovely lambs. Boy am I jealous of that grass. Last time I had some in the garden they ate all my plants and left the grass!  My fields are bare, like mid summer drought.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 04:22:00 pm »
I know when mine are hungry as they undo the slip rail on the fence and start eating the garden. I don't mind as my mower has broken down. We have one shearling who can clear the fence anyway. I think she thinks she is a chicken as she spends all day asleep in the chicken coop or run. She might be in lamb so I think she sees that as a nice safe place to give birth. The chooks aren't too impressed though and she does seem to like layers pellets...

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 04:37:32 pm »
Last year we had ours out on the garden and the grass looked similar to that. This year we have snow and dead grass. Nothing has started growing here at all. We normally have our ponies in small paddocks now to stop them getting laminitis but they are still getting the run of the land and getting fed in the fields. The sheep virtually licking the ground for food.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 11:27:22 am »
The one who kept escaping into the garden now has a lovely little bouncing boy lamb to keep her company and he definitely thinks he is a chicken!

Pipsa

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 06:09:28 pm »
I have had two foster lambs in my garden now for three weeks. We have three pet chickens - the lambs love
chasing the chickens around the garden ! It is so nice to watch them together - an absolute joy (:

Cosmo

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Ludlow,Shropshire
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 07:37:09 am »
Over the last two days our grass has shot up. Green now

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 08:19:24 am »
Your lambs are looking extremely well!  My grass has finally started growing, not quite enough yet to move the horses but the ewes with lambs are out on it.
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
They went out in the field yesterday! 7 acres of good grass thanks to spreading muck on it earlier in the year and the cattle have been off of it since October. They followed me to the field, were fed, we turned and hopped over the gate, made our way down the lane and 5 were following us home! So put some pallets against gates, and they stayed where they should have over night. Checked them at 7am this morning, all in the right place, fed them and left them be- 1 decided he would squeeze under the modified gate! Buggers... even with the best grass they could have they are still escaping! Here they are yesterday before we moved them up to the field, I'm really chuffed with how they are looking, even the youngest 5-

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 10:54:20 am by twizzel »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS