Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Has anyone heard of this?  (Read 2815 times)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Has anyone heard of this?
« on: March 28, 2013, 11:49:04 am »
Hold a chick at the neck area and if it pulls its legs up its a male, while if the legs dangle it's a female.
I have googled this and there are pictures demonstrating technique but.........

What's your thoughts , anyone tried and tested this?
Mojo
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

taz08

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: Has anyone heard of this?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 11:56:50 am »
tried it ,,, nope didnt work lol

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 12:56:42 pm »
Never heard of it but it's brilliant. 

My little boy says if you pull his finger he farts .... is that similar?  ;D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

taz08

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 06:28:09 pm »
 the 1 i use is  hens feather up quicker than  the cockerels
not been wrong  so far  :innocent:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 08:23:45 am »
There are lots of possible indicators but I've not found any reliable as different breeds have different characteristics. When they crow is a reliable indicator!

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 04:28:38 pm »
Ive not noticed it with chicks, however I have noticed that when our cats sleep on their backs infront of the fire, the boys pull their back legs up and the girls let theirs go straight.

robbiegrant

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cupar. North East Fife
  • The Mighty Kroshka!
    • Exclusive Luxury Holiday Villa for Rent in Goa
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 04:39:11 pm »
Never heard of it but it's brilliant. 

My little boy says if you pull his finger he farts .... is that similar?  ;D

Maybe when u lift the chick up and it farts its a little boy!!!   :&> :bouquet: :roflanim:
Cupar weather http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=cupar
Goa weather http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/43192.html
Escape to paradise - http://www.vaastuvillagoa.com

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy ;)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 09:19:13 pm »
I have heard it but not tested the theory.

I agree with Chrismahon that different breeds have different characteristics ..... what gives a good indication with one breed does not always apply to another.

Pekins are very easy and mine crow by 4 weeks ..... in case you need proof.  ::) ;D

sh3ph3rd

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Queensland, Australia
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 12:17:56 pm »
different breeds have different characteristics ..... what gives a good indication with one breed does not always apply to another.

That's so true. Usually best to play it by ear and a little while down the track you'll be giving advice rather than asking for it.  :)

Pekins are very easy and mine crow by 4 weeks

:o What are you feeding them?! I have given mine kelp as a regular and find it necessary to cause full expression of genotype in pheotype, as well as recover latent instincts and good genes that were bred into insignificance, but I've never had one crow that young! I have had them hatch at 14 days, and try to mate at 4 weeks though, but that only happened for a little while then stopped and I'm none the wiser. Do they crow properly, as in not make those strange strangled noises some of the young ones start with?

Which brings me to the reason I chimed in... If you give kelp regularly they'll show gender reliably in their first week, via red and enlarged crests as compared to their sisters. But it can take a year before the hen's amped up enough to produce the real crackers of offspring that show the benefits of the extra nutrition. I find that when most pet/animal food companies claim 'complete nutrition profile' they just mean they passed a lacklustre test that involved the animals not dying outright of nutritional deficiency, which doesn't actually mean they had a good, problem-free and long life on the foodstuffs offered.

when our cats sleep on their backs infront of the fire, the boys pull their back legs up and the girls let theirs go straight.

Maybe due to the broader back the males can rest easy whereas the females would roll over? Some female cats are broad too though... Had a tom who would enter fights from that position; he could actually run backwards on his shoulderblades, at quite a pace. Hilarious.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS