Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hanging  (Read 3025 times)

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
Hanging
« on: April 17, 2013, 08:54:09 am »
Not quite as grim as it sounds  :-[    There seem to be conflicting ideas on whether or not pork benefits from hanging prior to butchery?  Seems to be a bit of a luxury these days   the abattoir likes to ship the carcass straight out...the butcher never has room to hang.....but I was just wondering if there were indeed any benefits :)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Hanging
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 09:11:48 am »
There are no real benefits but it does need to hang for a couple of days for the meat to 'set' before butchering. Mine go on a Monday and are cut up on late wed/thurs am for me to collect on the friday.
HTh
mandy :pig:

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 09:28:22 am »
Thanks Mandy.....I didn't think there was but have read elsewhere it's an absolute must to improve flavour
We have ours back from the abattoir usually a couple of days after slaughter and butcher our own as we only have them for ourselves . On a course we attended a while back the pig to be butchered hadn't been allowed any time to set and was really flobby...........the course person claimed the abattoir had 'forgotten' about them.......fail to see how when it was one of their own pigs ???

The Mobile Butcher

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Whitby North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 09:35:31 am »
Hi,
just need to hang your sides for 2/3 days (like Mandy said) before you butcher your pork. enjoy !

Listen to those sausages in the pan now  lol :yum:
Paul - The Mobile Butcher

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 09:55:59 am »
I'm glad that this topic has been brought up. We've never hung any of our pork but one thing that we do, is to try and time having our weaners so that they are slaughtered in the late autumn or early winter. We do this to avoid any problems with flies.
Two lots of weaners ago, we did do some in the summer and it was a nightmare to butcher the pigs while at the same time trying to keep the flies off them. By choice, we try to get our weaners in and around August so that they get some sun and warmth on their backs before being slaughtered November, December time.

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 11:07:22 am »
I got told the other day not to hang pork it's only beef that needs to be hung as it is to break down the collegian in the meat... I still doubt that answer!

http://www.citypages.com/2010-09-22/restaurants/Compart-Family-Farms-pioneering-dry-aged-pork/

That link is to an american firm that hangs it's pork. but it's lean pork.

So the leaner the meat the longer the hanging .... as Mandy has said 1-2 days should be ample but if you have .... rounder pigs .. then you may find you don't need to hang as much. 

Also the abattoir will make a big impact less stress less requirements to hang.

Finally fat will start to leak water and it's easier to work with when it's drier. So it's easier to work with earlier.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 11:58:50 am »
You don't need to hang pork other than for 2 or 3 days to let the meat set after slaughter. I was told by a good friend of mine who's been in the meat trade for a very long time, and now teaches at our local college Food Technology Centre, that pork should be cut after no longer than 8 or 10 days. However we've kept legs refrigerated for over 2 weeks and it was no different to stuff a few days old, apart from the rind being a bit drier.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS