Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Damage to newborn lambs' tails  (Read 4486 times)

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
Damage to newborn lambs' tails
« on: April 17, 2013, 08:48:44 am »
On arrival at my sheep field at about 7.30 am last week, twin Jacob ram lambs had been born and mum had managed on her own ok. The lambs were up, had been licked dry etc., and although the smaller of the two was slightly weaker than the other, he was alright. The puzzle was that both of them appeared to have had the end of their tail chewed down to raw flesh with the skin hanging off in threads. I dipped the exposed ends in iodine and the lambs seemed none the worse. Anybody else experienced this? Was it rats, crows, magpies or some other predator? I can't see it being caused during birth or by the ewe's attention. Mystery.

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Damage to newborn lambs' tails
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 09:02:11 am »
One of my lambs, born inside had a similar problem with the tail end being bloody and shredded.  I put it down to the ewe who was a first timer, treading on it.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 10:09:15 am »
If a ewe is a particularly keen licker, the ends of the tails get chewed off sometimes. Just put a bit of antiseptic in it.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 12:38:26 pm »
Some ewes will do it only once and some will do it every year, just put rubber rings on above the wound to cut off blood supply .

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 07:17:06 pm »

Have to agree with the ewe chewing the tail I have experience of Blackies chewing off there lambs tails as  was previously said they can do it once or every year, better the tail than the naval which generally ends up with a dead lamb  :fc: for the rest of your lambing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS