Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stray ewes ( What are my rights)  (Read 2300 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Stray ewes ( What are my rights)
« on: April 16, 2013, 08:55:46 pm »
Ok so I have my 1 ewe lamb from last year that stayed, then in January an untagged ewe turned up because she had at lib hay and fed daily she stayed. asked a few  farmers around here and they have said they do not own her !
Then last week another ewe turned up, she has tags in . we have been told that the untagged ewe is the daughter of the other one and they have been running around from one farm to another for over 2 years. They originaly belonged to a bloke 6 miles away on the other side of the fell but he has now moved.
Today we have been told that both could well be in lamb as they where in a field with tups untill the end of December
Just wondered where I stand with these 2 ewes and any lambs they produce ? Obviously neither are registered to me and a bit concerned if we ever get an inspection
Graham

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Stray ewes ( What are my rights)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 09:42:27 pm »
Animal health are usually pretty understanding - I'd ring my local officer and ask what they would like you to do -say you are quite happy to keep them/red tag them etc.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 09:44:42 pm »
Assumimg that you want to keep them, just ring animal health and ask if they can be assigned to you, give them the tag number of the ewe and they should be able to sort it. They can contact the original owner. You will probably need to red tag the untagged ones.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 10:37:55 pm »
Had a similar event and the animal health officer said 'finders keeepers :o ' - she said just note it in your flock book as a stray and they would do the same. :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS